Chapter Four

The next day, Lizzie woke up, and decided to just wait in the room.  She wasn't sure about their rules, nor did she really trust herself not to get lost.  Oh, I wish I could contact my family, she thought.  She sighed, checking her bag next to the water.  Good, they didn't take my sword or trident, she noted with relief.  She gripped the sword, reading the side of it.  Elizabeth of The Royal Family, it read.  She exhaled, quickly putting it away and looking at the trident.  It had the same words engraved into it.

I hope they didn't see that, she thought.  They didn't seem to know… 

"Okay," she muttered.  "I have to stay here for who knows how long without contacting my family.  But the Mezalean royalty is kind…" 

She waited for a bit longer, until she heard footsteps in the hall.  She stood up, creeping towards the doorway, and peered out.

"Hello?" She called softly.  The footsteps turned and started approaching her.  Joel, she noted.

"Hi, Lizzie!" He said with a smile.

"Hey, Joel," she replied.  "You know I have to wonder exactly how long I'll be here.  I mean, your family is kind, but I want to go home, at- at some point."

Joel blinked.  "Well, I'm not sure exactly, but, uh, you have a mild concussion, as my mother mentioned, and you're not able to leave until your condition is stable, especially in this weather," he explained.  "So, according to the healers, we're looking at maybe two weeks, give or take?"

Lizzie sat back, gazing up at the ceiling.

"Two weeks," she repeated.  Joel nodded.

"I'm really sorry about that," he said.  "It's just-"

"Don't apologize," Lizzie rushed to interrupt.  "It isn't your fault, or anyone's fault but mine, I should have stayed at the outskirts and been more careful!  I owe your family my life!"

Joel shrugged.  "Well, you know, we can hardly let someone die," he mumbled.  "Anyways, enough about my family.  I hear about them all the time," he joked.  Lizzie chuckled.  "Tell me about your family!" He continued.  Lizzie froze.

How do I tell him about my family without giving myself away? She wondered.  She took a deep breath.  Okay… 

"Well, I live with my mom, my dad, and also my little brother," she started.  "My parents are really strict, so I really wasn't meant to be out, but whatever.  I never really liked following all their rules.  My brother and I are pretty close, we're four years apart but we still get along really well."

"That's cool," Joel said.  "I do have a sister, but she lives really far away, so we never really see her."

"Ooh, I have one of those sisters, too, strangely enough.  She lives with my distant relatives, she's studying for a job out there," Lizzie responded, thinking of her sister.  She wasn't much involved with the family, but Lizzie visited her every so often.

"That's a weird coincidence," Joel said.  Lizzie nodded.

"Well, anyways," she continued, "I always have to dye my brother's hair.  He doesn't like his natural hair color so it's always blonde now."

Joel snickered.  "Really?  He makes you dye it?"

"Yep.  I did promise him I would dye it when I got back…" her voice trailed off.  Joel sighed.

"It'll be alright.  You'll see your family again soon," he assured her.  She smiled weakly.

"Thanks," she said.  He nodded.

"No problem."