eighteen

The shift lead of the shift was explaining to Karl and George what they should be doing while the restaurant was slow. She was an older lady that worked hard, just like all the other leads. Everyone at their Subway was a bit older, besides George, Karl, Quackity, and Willow. And even then, they weren't teenagers or anything. Dream was the youngest, shockingly. Before, there were more young people.

George thought about how all the teenagers or new college students probably all quit. Summer was ending, so they had school soon, and their work schedule availability would be minimized and random. He had no idea why he was thinking about this topic so in depth to the point where he heard nothing of what the lead was saying. A loud bang of the door at the front scared him out of his thoughts.

A guy came in, he was about the same height as Karl and George. He had a cap on, he wore an embroidered bomber jacket that looked expensive, and had hazel-ish eyes. He was pretty cute in George's eyes. He had a bag of food from another restaurant in his hands.

"Hi sir, how can we help you?" The lead asks.

"I'm good, thanks." He comes to the counter, and pulls money out of his pocket. Thirty dollars. "Ten for each of you, don't come into Dreams office for, like, half an hour? Ya?"

They all nodded with suspicion, very slowly. "He's kinda an asshole." Karl whispers to George, and George nods just enough for Karl to understand that he agrees.

George felt cheated on. Why was he so suspicious? What were they gonna do? Does he have more money, or is he gonna get more money? What was this meeting gonna consist of?

George heard the office door lock. His face turned red from anger.

Karl notices. "What's wrong?"

George looked up and got out of his head. "Oh... uh..."

"If you don't wanna talk about it, it's ok. Don't feel like you have to." Karl says. He was such a good guy, and he and George got so close.

"That's the thing... I do want to but I don't know yet. I'll text you later, I don't want anyone to hear. Or maybe we can hang out after work."

-

"Dude, what the fuck?"

"You fucking scared me!" Dream takes out his headphones. "Sandwiches? Dude I work at a Subway, you're so stupid. Sapnap, you can't be here I have so much work."

Nick. His real name is Nick, but nobody has ever really called him that. He is Dream's best friend, like, best best friend, in the whole world. They usually only talk online playing video games, but they do it a lot to make up for the lack of in-real-life hang outs. Sapnap practically used to live at Dreams house when they were teens, he slept over a lot. Dream got a full time job, and it changed a lot about how much time they had together. Sapnap still mourns the loss of their closeness as they grow.

"You don't answer discord calls, phone calls, texts, anything. Dude, you've been MIA for like a week. That's a long fucking time. Obviously I'm gonna pull up, I miss you and got worried."

Dream rolls his eyes. "Oh, come on... it hasn't been that long..."

"Just eat lunch with me. Take a break, dude. Have you really been working that much? And look, idiot." Sapnap pulls out proof that it had even been over a week since Dream had texted him.

"I'm sorry, and, no actually. Regular hours, I don't know." Dream replies. He really did feel guilty.

"So then why no texting or anything? Are you okay?"

"I... uh... I don't know how to say this to be honest..." Dream starts.

Sapnap laughs. "It can't he that bad." He takes out the food, and throws a sandwich at the part of the desk that was in front of Dream. It was a lot cuter when George laid the food out for him.