Chapter 22: Recharged

"God, what a race

"God, what a race..." Felipe plopped down on the chair next to me, his freshly showered self still looking exhausted as hell. "I need a beer. And then like twenty hours of sleep."

And even though I wasn't the one driving that day, I understood his predicament. Silverstone turned out to be tumultuous, to say the least. With a system failure shortly before the race, the entire garage focused on Felipe's car and how to fix it. We got it back on the grid in time for the start, but Felipe had to race without a sixth and seventh gear, meaning he needed to work hard to not let the engine overheat when he got a better pace.

He only finished ninth, but with an issue like this, it was truly a miracle he saw the checkered flag without damaging the car.

A server brought the drinks to our table, and Felipe, Connor, Viola, Jin, and I all clinked our glasses, quietly celebrating this small victory.

"You deserve it. Cheers to you, Mr. Gonzalez," I quipped, holding up my ginger ale.

"Thank you, Ms. Nyx." He laughed in response and took a large gulp of his beer, then leaned back in his chair. "God, that's good."

Connor and Viola nodded in agreement, both holding up some weird cocktail that neither looked nor smelled enjoyable.

"I needed this, too." Viola sighed, and even though we weren't particularly close ever since that fateful night, I wondered what exactly had her so worked up. Lucien's race was rather quiet, so I couldn't see where she'd have to work more than usual.

The conversation flowed easily as we discussed today's race and what would wait for us next week. Michael would probably be out of his mind, with us visiting Germany and all. He'd been hyped up all week already, telling everyone how excited he was to show us his home country. He was a sweetheart.

"So, Flo,"  Connor addressed me cautiously, almost like he was waiting for me to correct him to use my full name. I didn't, though. With everything going on, Connor was the least of my worries, and truth be told... He stepped up. Like, a lot. There was no use in setting him straight when he really tried to be better. "Has Salim talked to you about the revision meeting?"

"Revision meeting?" I raised a brow. "We have about three more weeks left, so when's that supposed to be?"

"Oh, you didn't know?" He blinked a few times, and even though I couldn't have known, I wasn't surprised by what he said next. "My dad told me they wanted some feedback two weeks before our last day. Meaning... Thursday coming week."

Of course his father would try and jeopardize my life. No surprise there.

"I'm surprised it hasn't been brought to my attention before," I voiced my concerns, not caring about what it made me look like. Connor knew I wouldn't treat him any differently for his father's connection, unlike many others here. We were in the same boat, in that matter, and he was the last person I'd hold myself back with.