Chapter 28: Promises, Promises

Part of me couldn't believe I was doing this

But the other, more prominent part cheered me on, and it didn't even wait for his response before I reached behind my back, unclasping my bra.

Phoenix's gaze stayed fixed on my own as I let the fabric drop to the ground and approached him.

"What are you..."

"Answer my question." I was right in front of him, already feeling the steam and stray droplets on my skin. They were nothing against his heated stare, though, and I realized that coming in here didn't help the burn inside of me at all. It just added fuel to the fire.

After deliberating for what felt like minutes, he finally nodded his head, reaching his hand out to me. I wiggled out of my slip and took his hand, never leaving eye contact, not even when he pulled me into the warmth of the shower.

The water was hotter than I expected, but somehow helped calm my raging soul. My eyelids fluttered shut as I let the water hit my skin, and I took a deep breath before I dove beneath the showerhead, letting the rain fall over me.

Phoenix's hands slowly wandered to my side, keeping me in place while I enjoyed the heat on my body. "You're so fucking beautiful, Florence."

I moved closer to him, letting the water hit my back so I could brush the soaking hair out of my face, opening my eyes again. His flaming gaze instantly found my own, the tension making me swallow hard. "And you are absolutely stunning."

The bruises on his wet skin seemed even more protrusive now, and I couldn't help but furrow my brows as I studied his injuries once more. It wasn't fatal; I knew that, but my fingers still moved with care as they outlined the yellow and blue colors. I pressed a gentle kiss on his shoulder, letting my lips wander across his collarbone as his gaze pierced straight into my being.

His breathing picked up when my hands dug into his back, needing an outlet for the fire that's still raging in my heart. One part of me needed more than this, and the other basically begged me to be gentle, to not let my stubborn personality take over this moment.

Neither of those parts surfaced when Phoenix captured my chin and pulled me up, letting our lips collide without warning. I almost gasped from the impact, but his firm grip on my sides kept me steady as he deepened the kiss, not leaving an inch between us.

My chest brushed against his own as we breathed each other in, the heat between my legs suddenly more eminent than the scorching water on my back. "Phoenix..." I swallowed hard, trying to catch my breath, but he wouldn't let me.

His lips already chased my own again, pushing me straight against the glass. It was cold on my skin, but with the hot water pouring over us, and the scorching touch of his fingers roaming over my body, I was still burning alive.

I hooked my leg around his calf, pushing him even closer to me, but an involuntary gasp fled my lips when I felt his length dig into my thigh. He was as ready for me as I was for him, that much I knew.