Kara Saves a Life

"We were meant to rescue each other, not cut down the forest to rescue one."

shannon l. alder

Kara paced back and forth, watching Lena and Diana combine L-Corp's nanotechnology device with Kryptonian and Amazonian science.

"Kara, darling," Lena said in a whisper. "She's going to be okay."

Diana looked at her blonde friend and smiled sadly, "Kara, you did what you had to do and because of you Barbara is alive and will walk again."

Kara's eyes softened as she looked at the pale red-head lying on the table, "she screamed after the shot was fired. I was too far away to stop the bullet. When I got there he," Kara paused and took a deep breath. "He was standing over her with his pants around his ankles."

Kara's speech was interrupted by Jess's voice spilling over the speakers, "Lena, Bruce Wayne just entered the building and he's on the way up to your office."

Lena backed away from the computer and tapped a quick message on her tablet, then spoke loud enough for Jess to hear her, "Jess, just keep him at the door for about," she looked quickly at her tablet. "Three minutes." She ran her fingers over the screen on her tablet then rolled back into position and went back to work.

>>>

Jessica Huang stood up from her chair, pressing a small red button under the front of her desk, opening a door on the roof, three floors above. A smirk found its way to her face as the elevator doors opened, and a very pissed off looking Bruce Wayne emerged.

"Where is Kara Danvers?" Bruce growled.

Small arms crossed over her chest and her smirk grew as Jess responded sweetly, "hmm, let me think. Probably CatCo? She is still employed there as far as I know. Would you like me to check with Ms. Rojas? We have her on speed dial."

Bruce took another step, his lips turning down in a frown, "Ms. Huang, I am not here to play games."

"Then why are you here, Mr. Wayne? Your name is not on Mrs. Luthor-Prince's list today?" Jess smiled sweetly.

At the sound of the hyphenated last name, Bruce's face grew flush and his jaw tightened, "Is Diana here?"

"Dr. Luthor- Prince is normally in her lab this time of day," Jess lifted her phone up and tapped the screen a few times. "She and her wife do have lunch scheduled in about an hour, maybe I can get you an appointment just before that?"

"Don't patronize me, Ms. Huang," Bruce stepped closer, his hand reaching for the doorknob behind her back.

Jess smiled and waved petitely as Bruce was lifted off his feet.

"Enough, Bruce!" the voice of Superman snapped as he turned the man known as Batman around and set him back on his feet.

"Luthor's lapdog now, Superman?" Bruce asked sarcastically.

Clark stepped between Jess and Bruce, "no, I'm here because you care less about Barbara than you do about the fucking clown being dead."

"She killed him, threw him through a concrete wall," Bruce snapped.

"I know," Clark growled back. "She was more restrained than I would have been. I would have punched a hole through his chest and never looked back."

Bruce swallowed hard, "we are supposed to be better than them. We aren't supposed to kill."

His ear piqued and Clark turned towards Jess, "Ms. Huang, would you be so kind as to excuse us?"

Jess was shocked by the sudden change in conversation, "of course? Should I notify security?"