9

Demi

"I'm losing you, aren't I?"

Wilmer looked at me with such a tortured expression that it brought tears to my eyes. I slowly pulled over to the side of the road and put the car in park, taking a deep breath as we sat in silence.

"I don't want you to sugarcoat it." He said, "I can take it."

I bit my lip, "I do love you Wilmer. I fall more and more in love with you everyday." I sighed, "But I think I'm more in love with someone else."

He breathed in deeply though his nose, "Were you cheating on me?"

My head snapped up, "No. I'd never do that to you. It started when we broke up and ended when we got back together officially."

Wilmer nodded, "I'm sorry."

I furrowed my brow, "What on earth do you have to be sorry for?!"

He sighed, "I wasn't good enough for you. I drink too much, I could've taken you out to dinner more or bought you flowers or told you that I love you more often-"

"Wilmer stop." I interrupted, and took his hand, "I swear to God, do not blame yourself for this. We both know you treated me like a princess. Don't do that to yourself."

He shook his head, "Then why? We never really break up for good. What was different?"

I shrugged, "I don't know. It just... happened I guess. We were always in sync and it just escalated."

Wilmer rubbed his face, "Who is it?"

I looked down, dreading his reaction, "Nick."

He took a deep breath, "I figured, he was always following you around like a lovestruck puppy." He glanced at me, "What are we going to do?"

I sighed, "I don't know, but you don't have to listen to me cry about my problems anymore. We can just move on from each other."

Wilmer shook his head, "Demi, we always said we were friends before anything else and I'm not going to let that go now."

I shook my head, "Will, I don't want you to hurt anymore than you have to."

He rolled his eyes, "Believe me, pretending to be your boyfriend is a lot easier and less painful than never seeing you again and having things be awkward when we do happen to run into each other."

I sat up straight, "Pretending to be my boyfriend?"

He nodded, "Well you want to make him jealous right?"

I shrugged, "He seems pretty damn happy with Miss fucking Universe."

Wilmer chuckled, "Well maybe they're planning the same thing, trying to make you jealous. And, it looks like it's working."

I scowled at him, "I'm not jealous. I just don't like her."

He rolled his eyes, "Hermosa, you're not fooling me. Even when I'm half-drunk, I can tell."

I smiled, "Fine. I'm jealous. But I don't want him to get hurt, and if he's with me it's kind of inevitable."

Wilmer clicked his tongue, "Demi stop belittling yourself. You're an amazing girlfriend. You're loving, and you care so much about everyone. Nick would be lucky to have you. I know it's gonna bw scary, but you need to realize that Nick is Nick. Your Nick. He's been your bestfriend since you were what? Fourteen? He's never going to try and purposely hurt you."

I looked down at my hands, "You can't promise that Wilmer. That's why I went back with you. You're my safety net and the place I retreat to. With Nick, it's all gonna be new, and I don't want to start over. First dates, falling in love, it's the scariest thing for me."

He shook his head, "Demi he is already in love with you. Even when he was with Olivia, I saw it. I just thought it was me being protective or paranoid, but it's real Dems."

I leaned my head back against the seat and looked at him, "How are you doing this? We just broke up and now you're giving me advice on ym next relationship? I don't understand."

Wilmer rubbed his chin, "I think it's because I've known this was coming for a while." He glanced at me, "I think we both have."

I bit my lip, "Please tell me it's possible to love two people at the same time." I whispered, and touched his cheek.

"You can love as many people as you want. But the thing is, you can only truely be in love with one person at a time."

I shook my head, "I'm so sorry."

Wilmer smiled sadly, "You don't ever have to be sorry for something that you feel. I can't make you love me. I can't make you feel what you don't."

I wiped at my eyes, "I don't like hurting people, especially you. You've stayed with me through so much and I'm just throwing five years of your time away."

I began to cry harder and Wilmer out an arm around my waist, leaning across the car to hug me, "Don't cry Dems, you haven't thrown it away. The past five years with you have been the best time of my life. I'm going to continue to be your bestfriend, and be there for you whenever you need me. Don't worry about me. I've got some thick sin."

I sighed and pulled away from him, "I don't want to make you even more uncomfortable, or open more wounds, but I-"

"Of course." WIlemr interrupted, already knowing what I was going to ask, "I'll stay with you tonight."

I smiled as I put the car in drive, "Thanks Will."

He nodded and turned his head to look out the window, his hand staying in mine the entire way home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and Vote!

Twitter: @Lovatic_Chica

-Rachel