10

Nick

"Dude."

I looked up at Joe after Demi and Wilmer left, "What?"

He chuckled, "Why do you look like Demi just killed your puppy? Or broke your heart?"

I sighed, "Because she did."

Joe leaned forward, "Bro, you don't have a puppy."

I gave him a dirty look, "I meant the second thing."

He furrowed his brow, "Excuse me?"

I looked at my hands, "I need to tell you something."

*

Once I'd spilled my guts to Joe, he sat back in his chair, staring at me with wide eyes.

"Holy shit, you were fucking Demi?"

I nodded slowly, "And now I'm in love with her, and she had no idea."

Joe raised his eyebrows, "You really think she doesn't know bro? The way you look at her was like she was your world. I know Demi, and if she's acting the way you say she is, she's scared. She runs the second you think you're getting close. It's frustrating, that's why me and her didn't work out. But if I ever looked at a girl like that, I'd never stop trying."

I nodded, "I'm trying. Me and Liv are only together to make her jealous."

Joe smiled, "You really expect Demi to chase you when she's running in the complete opposite direction? She won't go near you if she thinks you're happy without her."

I looked down, "Olivia thought it would be a good idea."

Joe snorted, "Olivia also came to your house not too long ago begging for you to take her back. I wouldn't trust her with relationship advice so quickly."

I shook my head, "This is my only option right now man. Demi's heart and brain are like a labyrinth, and there's no map in the world."

Joe looked up, "There is a map. It's gonna be tough though."

I leaned in close, "What are you thinking?"

He raised an eyebrow, "Who's the one person who's gotten to the center of Demi's heart multiple times? Who's the one person who knows her inside, and out?"

I groaned, "I am not asking Wilmer. He's dating Demi! Are you crazy?!"

Joe shrugged, "Look, if Demi is running, she's no longer interested in Wilmer. She's latching onto him because for the past five years, he's all she's ever known. Have you ever even thought about the possibility that she's doing the exact same thing as you? Trying to make you jealous?"

I shook my head, "I don't think so bro, you didn't hear her answer the phone. 'Hey baby.' " I mimicked in a high pitched tone, "I nearly hung up on her."

Joe leaned back in his chair, "I'll talk to Wilmer tomorrow. I would just talk to Olivia about her intentions. I don't think she's telling you everything.

I nodded, rubbing my chin thoughtfully, "I will, thanks bro."

~*~

"Why are we doing this?" I looked over at Olivia who was sitting at the kitchen table.

"Doing what?"

I sighed, "It's been three weeks Olivia, and Demi still isn't coming around. I think it's time for a new approach."

She shook her head, "Nick it is working though. Demi broke up with Wilmer last night."

I nearly dropped my cup of coffee I'd just made, "What?!"

She nodded, "Didn't you talk to Joe?"

I shook my head, "No? I mean, a few nights ago I did, but he didn't really follow up."

She nodded, "She's still friends with Wilmer, but it's over, for good. She told him she was in love with someone else." Olivia nudged my arm, "That's you bud."

I shook my head, "That doesn't make sense. Her and Wilmer are in love."

Olivia leaned forward, "He's in love with her, but she's not in love with him."

I rubbed my face, "I need to see her."

~*~

I'm not gonna lie, I sat in my car, in Demi's driveway for a good ten minutes before I mustered up the courage to go knock on the door. The wait was torturous, but I heard footsteps on the other side of the door, I swear my heart began to speed up. The door opened, and there she stood, hair up in a bun, looking like she'd just finished a workout by the flush of her cheeks.

"Hi." I murmured, breaking out of our trance.

"Hey." She said quietly.

"Sorry for just showing up."

Demi smirked a bit, but I could see her guard was up, "It's okay, I should be used to it by now."

I looked down, "You and Wilmer broke up?"

She nodded slowly, "It wasn't going to work out between us."

I stepped forward into the house, "And why is that?"

She shook her head, "I don't have to explain my relationship with Wilmer to you Nick!" She snapped, and I stepped forward again.

"No, but you do have to explain ours."

Demi froze and again, shook her head, "I don't have to explain myself, or my decisions either. It's over. We're done."

"No we're not." I grabbed her waist, "We're never gonna be done, because I love you, and I know you love me. I don't know why you can't just allow yourself to feel that love for me! I have loved you since the day I met you! I stayed by your side through everything! what do you have to be afraid of?! I love you! I'm tired of suppressing these feelings for you!"

Demi shook her head, "Nick, don't do this. I'm sorry, but I can't."

I pressed her back against the wall and leaned my forehead against hers, "Yes, you can. I know you're scared Dems. You need to trust me though. You can trust me. You've trust me bef-"

"I know Nick!" Demi interrupted, "I know that I've known you forever and that I can trust you! But that's just it! That's exactly why I can't do this. You're one of my best friends and if we lose that friendship I'd never forgive myself!"

I shook my head, "Demi you don't understand. You're the only one I can see myself being with in life. I'm the one you're supposed to be with!" I lifted her chin, forcing her to look at me, "I love you. I promise I'm not gonna hurt you or let you down. You're all that I can think about at night and the first thing that is on my mind in the morning when I turn my head to see empty sheets, hoping to see your face. And you know what?"

She looked up at me, her big brown eyes making my heart melt, with her voice barely above a whisper, shaking from the tears in her eyes, "What?"

"I'm tired of being disappointed."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and Vote!

Twitter: @Lovatic_Chica

-Rachel