nineteen

C a r i n a

I wake up and my head is pounding.

The light is hurting my eyes and I just want to shut them off. I try to sit up, but I can't.

"No don't, here let me help." Elaine. She guides my back and head to sit up with my head resting on a pillow.

"Where am I? What happened?" I ask, my eyes still adjusting to the blinding lights.

"You fell and hit your head." Elaine replys and hands me a glass of water. I look around the room searching for someone. "Draco and his tiny blatter went to the restroom."

I sigh. "How did you know that I was looking for him?"

"Come on Carina, I know you." I smile and take a sip of water.

"Okay I'm back. I got a few snacks, did I miss anything?" Draco barges in the room. He looks at me. "Oh, you're awake. Did she say anything about me?"

"Only that you have a small bladder."

He glares at Elaine. "Bloody hell Elaine. I told you I was going to get something."

"I thought it was code for 'My bladder is the size of a pea, I need to go unload.'" she grimaces.

"What the actual fuck?" I start laughing. "Oh great."

Elaine looks so proud of herself and Draco is pissed at her.

"Wait, what about the unwated guest?" I ask, confused.

"Oh I just made that up for a distraction. I think my plan went a little overboard." Elaine admitted.

Wait what? But my dad- he was there, I saw him!

"I see that you are confused, I'll let Draco explain since he was there with you." Elaine gets up and leaves the room.

"So what exactly happened?" I ask, opening a bag of pretzels.

Draco sits down in the chair by my bed. "Well something startled you and you screamed a little. Then you slipped and hit your head."

That's embarrassing.

"What was with the lights shutting off and the loudspeaker?"

"Part of Elaine's brilliant birthday plan. She wanted to be over the top."

"So all of that was a set up and not real? And you knew the whole time?" Draco nods with a look of guilt on his face. "I saw my dad." I blurt out.

His eyes go wide. "What?"

"I don't know, it was when the lights were out. I heard him speaking, and when I turned around he was there." I put my face in my hands. "I think I'm going insane."

"You're not going insane Carina."

"So was there a man who spoke to me?"

"No. No one was there but you and me."

"So I am going insane." He laughs. "What's so funny?" I cross my arms.

"Nothing."

Okay I don't believe that. "No, tell me."

"It's really nothing." he laughs and I swear I see him blush.

"Then why are you laughing?" But I start to lightly laugh as well.

I need to stop finding his laugh attractive.

"Alright. It's nothing bad, I just thought that it was cute when you got all flustered and said you were insane."