Chapter 9 Keyes

The Truth and Reconciliation was under a Flood Siege, the parasite having invaded the Covenant stronghold. . . Within and around the cruiser, Elites and Grunts did what they could to hold off the enemy's advance, but with little success. The horde had grown far too powerful. . .

Cortana: The Covenant network is in absolute chaos! From what I've been able to piece together, their leadership ordered all ships to abandon Halo when they found the Flood, but they were too late. The Flood overwhelmed this cruiser and disabled it. The Covenant are terrified the Flood will repair the ship and use it to escape from Halo. They've sent in a strike team to neutralize the Flood and repair the ship for immediate departure. I've got a good lock on Captain Keyes' CNI transponder signal! He's alive! And the implants are intact! There's some interference from the cruiser's damaged reactor. I'll bring us in as close as I can.

Athena: That strike team is kind of getting their ass kicked, by the way.

The golden glow returned and the three Spartans along with their AIs were transported into a corridor within the Covenant Ship.

Aris: *gasps* Not this again. . .

Athena: OH, YOU'VE GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!

Kat: Not a damn word. . . .

Noble Two was once again prone atop of and crushing Noble Six. Meanwhile, the Master Chief fell from the ceiling.

Cortana: Ohh... I see, the coordinate data needs to be-

The three Spartans rose to their feet and glared at the blue AI.

Cortana: Right. Sorry.

Athena: Let's just find Keyes. . .

As if on queue, their radios activated. . .

?: *radio* Chief. . . Noble. . . Don't be fools. . . Leave me. . .

Cortana: Captain? Captain?! I've lost him. . .

Aris: I guess that means we better hurry the hell up.

He pumped his Shotgun as Kat reloaded her Magnum and Assault Rifle. Six tosses some shells to the Spartan II, who promptly loaded his own boom stick. They began to traverse the ship, seeing completely blown out walls and collapsed ceilings all over the place. . .

Cortana: The damage caused by the crash and the Flood have sealed-off all nearby access ways to the control room. We should find another way in.

Upon making a left turn, they came across Grunts being swarmed by Combat Forms! A single grenade blew everything away and cleared their path!

Aris: I almost feel bad for them. . .

Kat: We've seen worse.

Aris: Have we. . .?

. . .

They kept moving and soon, their progress was impeded.

Athena: Welp, that's great.

A massive split in the ship cut them off, the neon ponds with the canyon glowing from beneath them.

Cortana: Analyzing damage. . . This hole was caused by some kind of explosive. Very powerful if it tore through a ship's hull. All I detect down there are pools of coolant. We should continue our search somewhere else.

Athena: Oh, I was thinking we just jump down.

Cortana: Seriously-

Athena: NO! Idiot! Oh- scratch that. Please jump now.

Aris/Chief/Kat: . . .

Athena: *sighs* There's a lot of Flood coming! Jump!

Aris: Alright, alright!