The Debut and The Lady Danbury

Diamond of the First Water - Part I

}~~~~~~~~~~~{

Grosvernor Square 1813
    Dearest Reader,

        The time has come to place our bets for the upcoming social season. Consider the household of the Baron Featherington. Three misses foisted upon the marriage market like sorrowful sows by their tasteless, tactless mama.

        Far better odds might exist in the household of the widowed Viscountess Bridgerton. A shockingly prolific family, noted for its bounty of perfectly handsome sons and perfectly beautiful daughters.

    I was walking with my younger twin and our two younger sisters, already ready for my presentation to the Queen, down the main stairwell of the Bridgerton house. "Do you really wish to do this, El?" Asked Eloise. "Mama allowed me a year more to further my studies and delay by debut into society, surely she'll allow you the same luxury!"

    I sighed, taking my sister's hands, "I know sister, but I cannot wait forever, I would much prefer to have it done with now than to fail in the future." I hastened my steps leaving Eloise with the other two, and made my way to the base of the stairs to await Daphne and the rest of our family. Eloise taking part in play banter with dear Fran, the fourth Bridgerton daughter.

    Hyacinth quickens her pace to head Eloise. "I feel like a princess." She said to us. I smile and hold out my arms to her. Chasing the steps the rest of the way down to meet me, the girl continues, "Do I look like one, Elena?"

    "Of course you do, dear Hyacinth!" I smile, taking Hyacinth's hand and twirling her in her spot.

    "You truly do not wish to know what I think you look like," Eloise speaks up.

    I sigh and shake my head, a small smile on my face. "Come now, El. Do not be so morose. It is a happy day for our eldest sister and I."

    Just then Gregory comes loping down the stairs at a quickened pace, "On your left!" He shouts. He runs by Hyacinth, stealing one of her ribbons, bringing about a chase between the two.

    Just as Francesca and Eloise meet the bottom of the stairs, Benedict and Collin join me and await to greet them. "Is our dear sister still not ready?" Benedict inquires.

    "Oh, she's only been readying herself the entire night," answers Fran.

    "You mean her entire life," Eloise says promptly.

    "Eloise!" I scold. I only receive a shoulder shrug in return.

    Collin turns to the group. "I shall run up stairs and hasten her along."

    "Collin, wait. I'll do it," Benedict interjects.

    "She likes me better than you, Benedict."

    I watch my brothers amusedly, allowing the men to continue their bickering. "Did she say that?"

    "Everyone says that," Collin answers.

    The boys bickering was finally interrupted by a shout that disturbed then entire household and staff. "DAPHNE!" It was Eloise, "YOU MUST MAKE HASTE!" With a satisfied sigh, she turns to us. "Should you think she heard me?" She asked with a mile on her face.

    With small giggle I walked up to my twin and took her hands in mine. "Half of London heard you El."

        How very perfect indeed!