The Trowbridge Ball and The Engagement

An Affair of Honor - Part II

Previously...

    She helps me to get dressed again. Pulling the laces of my corset just tight enough to shape, but not make it hard to breathe. I don my dress with little help and Daphne and I walk out of the door. I am greet by a legion of familiar men. My brothers, Simon, Prince Friedrich, and Will. "Awe, have you all come to check up on little old me?" I ask sweetly, but obviously joking. We all laugh, but I turn serious and turn to all of my siblings. "We are not to tell Mama of any of this. Not only will she have my head, she will have yours as well, not to mention that if she does find out it will be on top of the fact that you boys brought us here. So, not a word, is that clear?"

    They all nod, even the men that I weren't addressing nodded. I smiled and proceed to exit the building with Daphne, to await the carriage to come get us, faintly hearing Will call me frighting. I can only imagine the loving smile on Simon's face.

}~~~~~~~~~~~{

    "Your brother took you where?" Mama asked incredulously. Daphne was sitting at the pianoforte. Hyacinth was skipping about the room, and snatching bits of food to eat. Benedict, bless him, was still trying to figure out how to draw a hand. Gregory and Collin are play fighting. Eloise and I, on the other hand, are on the other side of the room alone. Eloise writing suspects for Lady Whistledown, me reading.

    She had told me of her plan to uncover Lady Whistledown, which I whole heartedly support. At first, yes, she was funny anecdote, but after what she had said about me and Simon, and pretty much anyone else who's been mentioned in her papers, she's become somewhat of a pariah. "He kept close watch the entire time, Mama," Daphne answered dismissively.

    "Not to mention," I added from my spot. "I was with him the entire time."

    Mama only sent sent me look. "It does not matter. A boxing exhibition is no place for any young lady," she said looking between Daphne and I.

    "Is a place for a prince?" Hyacinth asks. "Was he at today's match, Sister?"

    "He certainly was," Daphne smiles.

    Mama continues to go on. "It is a loathsome and barbarous form of entertainment."

    "What about the Duke?" Hyacinth asks.

    "Yes, Hyacinth, His Grace was there," I said placatingly. "He was supporting his friend who was in the match, Mr. Mondrich." Hyacinth quickly gives up on Mama and Daphne, skipping over to me and Eloise, plopping down between us. I wrap and arm around her shoulders, allowing her to lean on me, with out looking up from my book. I should need to go visit Lady Danbury's library soon.

    "What are you writing?" She asks Eloise, looking over to her but not leaving the comfort of my arm around her.

    "Nothing," Eloise quickly replies, clearing her throat.

    Hyacinth groans, causing me to stamp down a chuckle. "You sit about, writing nothing all day long."

    Eloise sighs about to answer before I interrupt. "Eloise, be nice, she is just curious," I tell her. "Besides you never play with her anymore, Hyacinth just misses you, right?" I ask looking at the little girl.

    Hyacinth nods her head vigorously, causing me to laugh. I go back to my book, but listen closely to Eloise's answer. "Fine, I am merely writing to Francesca about her time and Bath." Hyacinth nods lean closer into me. I smile at Eloise's answer, but I can tell the Hyacinth doesn't believe her.