The Modiste, The Denial and The Appeal

The Duke and I - Part I

Previously...

She looks at me and narrows her eyes. "Oh, alright," she caves. "You've thought about this, haven't you?" I shyly smile and nod. She chuckles and turns to Simon. "You," she says to him. He looks at her and nods. "You have your task, and you shall do, but first we are to promenade." He nods and pecks me on the cheek before standing and preparing his carriage. "Now," she turns to me. "The modiste should not be busy. I suppose if we go promenade now, we would be able to get to the modiste, then back here before your brother makes his rounds tonight."

"I shall go dress then," I squeal.
}~~~~~~~~~~~{

One may say modesty is a virtue, yet this author is hardly a virtuous woman. It is therefore my great pleasure to announce the news others questioned, but I never doubted.

The season's diamond has made her match betrothed to the crowned prince of Prussia, Prince Friedrich.

The jade of the season, Elena Bridgerton, has also finally made her match, officially betrothed to the Duke of Hastings. The bride, undoubtedly, is giddy with anticipation over the impending nuptials.

My new lady's maid, Vera, is helping me to dress. I start pacing around the room with her following, buttoning my clothes. "Well, I shall need fittings for my dress and my trousseau. That's what Mama and I are going to go do latter today," I say turning to her. I turn back an put a hand on my brow. "And... oh... I am forgetting something, surely, Vera."

"I shall take care of everything, miss," she ensures. "Just think, you shall be the duchess by Saturday," She chuckles once she's finished fastening my dress. I quickly turn to her and smile. It just now hitting me.

An event that will apparently take place sooner rather than later.

Of course there are only two reasons to procure a special license and race to the alter: true love, or concealing a scandal.

"How does it feel sister?" Hyacinth asks as we are walking down the stairs. "To be in love?"

Eloise, ever the wise guy, answers. "Imagine leaping off of a and shattering on the ground." She looks to me. "A fair analogy, El?"

"I'm afraid I simply cannot find the words at the moment, dear Hyacinth," I state breathlessly.

"Though, Eloise, I do believe you will know what love feels like soon enough next season," Daphne states from behind me.

She scoffs. "You think I am to follow in both of your footsteps, sister?" She questions, laughingly. "Can there be a more dreadful fate?"

Daphne angrily replies back to her. "You do know that we are setting the standard for your future matches, yes?" She asked, gesturing between the two of us. "You should be grateful." She turns to Rose to fix her hair.

"The only thing I am grateful for," Eloise fires back. "Is that I am not you, nor will I ever be."

"Humboldt?" I ask when I see him walk in. "What is it?"