Jace

I heard Crystal scream as the killer stabbed Gina in the stomach with the knife. The two of us stopped running as we watched her get stabbed unable to do anything to help. The killer bent down and swiftly pulled the knife out of Gina’s stomach before slowly walking towards us. Without hesitating, I grabbed Crystal’s hand and pulled her backwards. She stumbled a little, but easily kept up with my pace.

“Run,” I told her as we sprinted through the fog. “No matter what happens don’t stop running.” We both turned around a sharp corner unaware of where we were headed.

“What happens if he catches us?” She asked as we took another turn.

“You keep running.” We looked at each other both of us knowing that if he caught us one of us wouldn’t make it. “I don’t care what happens; you have to keep moving.”

We turned again and this time we were headed down a long road that would take us to the Main Road. I took a few seconds to look behind us, and I saw the killer only a few feet away from us. He was no longer holding a knife but was holding a gun. I grabbed Crystal’s hand and practically dragged through the empty parking lot. My plan was to make it to the football field and cut across it before jumping over the fence and ending up on the main road.

We were almost there. So close.

“Aaaah!” Crystal fell down tripping on the curb. She skinned her hands and knees, but I was focusing more on her ankle. I tried helping her up, but she couldn’t support herself. “I can’t walk just leave me.”

“No,” I pushed her forward, and she stumbled a little. “Keep running, cut through the field, and head to the road. Try to find someone.” She stared at me unwilling to leave, and I pushed her again.

“Jace,” she whispered taking a step back tears streaming down her eyes, “I love you.” I stood there in shock. She loves me? She loves me!  Slowly I moved closer to her and kissed her. Boy, it felt good after waiting so long. I couldn’t help but smile as I watched her move forward.

Crystal started limping forward before jogging a little, and I turned around to face the killer. He had slowed down to a walk and was looking pretty satisfied with himself.

“That was a nice thing of you to do, Jace.” He taunted me as he twirled the gun in his hand. I eyed it warily. “Sacrificing your life to save hers, it’s very heroic.”

When I stayed quiet, he kept talking. “Why don’t we settle this the good old fashioned way?”

He threw the gun to the side and lunged at me. The two of us fell to the ground, and I managed to punch in the jaw a couple of times before he hit me in the eye. I slowly stood up, but he wasted no time in hitting me again. I somehow dodged one of the hits and managed to knock him off his feet.

His fist ended up lodged in my stomach, and I gagged. His other fist hit me in the jaw, and I swung out blindly hitting him in the arms and face a couple times. Fed up with my fighting, he wrapped his arm around my neck putting me in a choke hold. I tried to take in a few breaths, but his hold was too tight, and I ended up clawing at his arm with my hands.

“Bet you wish you didn’t sacrifice yourself, huh?”

“I...don’t regret... anything.” I struggled to say before it all went black.