CHAPTER 7

"Where do you think the prey is?" Flashpaw asked. Lightpaw rolled her eyes. "Don't you ever use your brain? Obviously, it's where the prey scent is!" Mouse-brained furball she muttered under her breath. They dug up the ground and carried the prey back to camp. It smells so delicious... One bite wouldn't hurt... Flashpaw thought mischievously. Lightpaw glared back at her brother, knowing what Flashpaw was thinking. "Don't ever think about it," Lightpaw growled. Flashpaw muttered something under his breath and stomped forward.

Lightpaw dashed forward to put down the prey on the pathetic fresh-kill pile. Today isn't our best day I guess Lightpaw thought miserably. "Did any of you took a bite of fresh-kill?" Grasstail, their mother, meowed. "Flashpaw wanted to," Lightpaw mewed. Grasstail sighed, "When will that naughty furball grow up?" "I'm sure he will, it just takes time for him to mature," Limepelt, a white and brown tom, their father, advised her. Lightpaw trotted off to the elders' den to search ticks before they have their meal and set off to their permanent home. "... and when he jumped onto me, I cuffed his ear and sent him flying!" Viperpelt, one of the oldest elders, a grey tom with darker flecks exclaimed. "What are you all meowing about? And Flashpaw! We are supposed to find ticks! Not just listen to elders tell tales," Lightpaw growled. "Ugh, fine," Flashpaw grumbled. "Young cats these days, no stamina," Viperpelt sighed. Lightpaw ignored the comment and reached her paw into Viperpelt's fur and stuck in some mouse bile. Disgusting! I can't blame my brother... But still! Lightpaw thought. When she finished, she padded to the river and washed off her paws. She sighed. "Having a brother will never be easy, just be patient," Someone from the shadows meowed. Startled, Lightpaw turned around and could just make out the snow-white pelt of Snowshade's.

The two she-cats meowed for a long time. By mealtime, Lightpaw felt brightened by Snowshade's words; Instead of grumbling and complaining, why not tell him what he did wrong and try to help him for the future? Lightpaw sat beside her brother and happily ate a sparrow with joy.