Chapter 13

*     *     *

"What do you say?" Gabriel asked eagerly. He'd nudged Sam with his shoe under the table approximately a million times.

"Gabe, I can't sleep in pain, that's why I'm so tired."

"I've got things that can make you pass out on the spot," he snapped his fingers, "And! And I can take you to the Cafe tomorrow, since I have to go to work."

"Isn't tomorrow Tuesday?"

"No, tomorrow's Saturday." 

Sam mouthed an "oh" and took a bite of his sandwich. The corner of Gabriel's mouth lifted.

"So, you gonna stay or not, Sammich?"

Sam looked up from his food. Gabriel nudged him under the table again.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Sam asked. The waiter took an empty plate from the edge of the table.

"I wasn't looking at you like anything!"

The waiter butt in with a smile. "You looked like you were pleading for something," he must've realized his surroundings when his eyes widened and he looked between both Sam and Gabriel, "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, I used to be a therapist, I- I didn't mean to interrupt. Have a nice day, both of you." Both boys nodded and the waiter walked away quickly.

Sam turned back to Gabriel with his brows raised. "Pleading, huh?"

Gabriel flushed.

"Maybe I'll call you Puppyface."

He grew redder and redder. This made Sam smile. "What's up, Pups?" He laughed. "On a walk, there was a woman with a dog, Sobachka, maybe I'll call you that."

He furrowed his brows. "One: no. Two: no. Three: why the hell would you name me after a random dog?"

"Sobachka is Russian for dog, or puppy, That's the only reason I remember it."

Gabriel nodded once, his attention drifting out the window as he relaxed against the seat, his whiskey eyes lost in Sam's. Sam kicked him with the tip of his shoe. He came back to attention, blinking a few times. He blushed and sipped his chocolate milk to hide it.

"You almost ready to go?" Sam asked after he finished his sandwich.

Gabriel, his hands folded on the table, shifted to sit on one leg with the other foot on the seat.

"I dunno, maybe soon, but I'd like to finish my milk. Can we go for a long walk?"

"If my back allows it."