Chapter 15

"What was that?" Sam questioned, watching Gabriel's profile for any show of emotion. He was only sitting with his back straight, his eyes fixed on a star a billion miles away, not even visible in the light.

He reached out to bring Gabriel back to consciousness, but found out he'd never left when Gabriel snapped, "Don't touch me."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing," he mumbled. The waves were getting larger, even when there was not really a place for them to be coming from. Wind picked up and the temperature dropped. Gabriel shivered, folding his arms around himself as he stood up from the bench. "We should go."

Sam grabbed his arm but Gabriel shook him off. Hurt crossed Sam's expression and Gabriel pretended not to notice it when he turned away. "Hey, what happened?"

"I said it was nothing, let's just go," he grumbled, holding his arms tightly around himself in anger. He began walking away, and it would be Sam's choice whether he'd follow or not.

*     *     *

"Do you... want me to go home? Because I can always have Charlie-"

"No." He opened the door to his house.

Both of them went in without a word, the sudden change in temperature making Sam shiver. Gabriel ran a hand through his messy hair and sighed deeply. "I'll give you something for the pain and keep looking. Just stay out here and do something so you're not bored, I'll come out or yell if I need you," he instructed, not sparing Sam a glance.

Sam silently agreed as he took a seat on the couch. Gabriel entered the lab and threw on a coat and gloves. He searched for something to put on the deep gashes on his friends' back.

He gathered multiple things and headed back to Sam. Gabriel instructed him to take his shirt off again and he did, balling it in his fist. He turned to the side, giving Gabriel room behind him. He held out his hand for Sam to take, because "This'll hurt like a bitch". He hesitated before taking Gabriel's hand and prepared for what was yet to come.

As soon as Gabriel's hand met one of the gashes, Sam winced, holding his eyes shut tightly as pain raced through him.

"It'll only hurt for a minute," Gabriel noted as he continued. As he got closer to the bones, he was sure the bones in his own hand had been broken. Sam's other fist contained the shirt, balling it fiercely. Gabriel squeezed back, which lessened the pressure on him, also helping Sam at the same time.

"It burns," he said through grit teeth.

Gabriel finished up, "I know, I know,"

He put the cream down and Sam didn't bother to ask what was in it, for purple stuff is not something he'll question anymore in Gabriel's house.

"Can you feel that?"

Sam was silenced for a minute, waiting for Gabriel to do something, "Feel what?"