Chapter 18

Gabriel's eyes opened with the hitch of his breath. His head was buried into the crook of Sam's neck, both of them nearly the exact same as they had been when they'd fallen asleep- however long ago that'd been. "Sam?" He whispered, his hot breath trailing up Sam's neck.

He felt Sam's throat vibrate as he hummed in response.

"How long've you been up? Did I wake you?" He asked quietly, trying not to breathe on Sam too much without pulling away from the warm body against him. Discreetly, he pressed his lips to Sam's shoulder as if he were shifting his head. If it were all he would get, he would take it. Without hurting Sam.

Sam inhaled deeply, his chest shoving Gabriel back a little. "A few minutes." A welcome sensation traveled through Gabriel as Sam moved his thumb up and down along his shoulder.

The blanket moved, but neither of them did. Gabriel felt it run along his hand, but his blanket felt different. (Maybe I grabbed one last night, I don't remember much.)

"Gabe?"

"Hm?"

"Don't you have work today?"

"Probably,"

He began to push Gabriel back but his eye caught something, "Jesus-!" He rolled backwards, groaning. Gabriel shot up, the dark blanket turning light- a feathery white that followed Sam. "What the hell?!" He looked at both his sides, large white wings flailing around him. Gabriel was frozen, staring wide-eyed at the elegant feathers that shone in the morning light. He reached out, but the wing recoiled then slapped him. He exclaimed and pulled his hand back, enveloping it in the other.

"Sorry! How the hell-"

Gabriel mumbled under his breath, "Sammy's got wings."

"What?"

"Hold still," Gabriel walked on his knees across the mattress, to where Sam was standing on the ground, petrified.

Sam tried to grab at the wings, missing nearly every time unless he got it for a second before it slipped away. "I'm trying!"

As soon as Gabriel came close, he got a face of feathers. "Calm down!" He yelped, shaking his face like it had been covered with cobwebs. He grabbed the base of the wing and his arm jerked forward, then back again, shoving his elbow into his own stomach- right into the previous wound. He cried out, wrapping his arms around himself. "God dammit!"

Sam froze and the wings folded against his back, still as a statue. The Winchester reached out, but when the wings moved with him, he stopped himself. "Are you okay?" He asked frantically, backing away so he couldn't hurt him again. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean- I didn't mean to-"

"You didn't," Gabriel looked up at him, unwrapping himself. He dangled his legs over the edge of his bed. "Skipping work, we're dealing with this," he circled a finger through the air at Sam.