Chapter 5: Hey You

"So what was wrong with this one?"

Daichi looked up from his phone where he had been pretending to text, glancing at Suga with almost innocent looking round eyes, "What do you mean?"

But Suga wasn't buying his little act. He crossed his arms and huffed, "Yesterday was the third date this week you were back at the dorm before 10pm. You gave some sort of lame excuse for the first two not working out, so come on, what is it this time?" This last one felt a little more personal to Suga, he had suggested the girl for his blind date and thought he had picked well. Crystal was the really sweet Canadian exchange student in his elementary education class, and Suga had been sure her charismatic charm would have worked. But when Daichi had snuck back into the dorm room just after 10 yet again and went straight to his corner of the room, the hope that had been slowly building in Suga's chest withered like a flower in the hot sun. As did his patience.

"You can't keep doing this to yourself man," Suga kicked out at the leg of Daichi's chair to regain his friend's attention, making Daichi glower. "Or are you trying to win the award for World's Biggest Ass?"

Placing his phone onto the desk, Daichi dropped the facade. It was just he and Suga sitting at their table in a secluded section of the library, the others having wandered off in search of a few items from the shelves, and Kenma was sitting elsewhere with his tutor. It was safe enough with just Suga. "It's not like I'm purposefully trying to be a dick," he twirled his pencil anxiously, staring down at the empty page he was supposed to be taking notes in, "it's just almost as soon as they would start talking, I was bored. I mean what is so interesting about a pumpkin spice latte that every chick seems it's necessary to talk about it nonstop?" It was not an exaggeration. Every single blind date he'd had this week raved about how happy they were it was autumn because that meant the return of pumpkin spice lattes at Starbucks. And not just as a note in passing, but a solid ten minutes rambling on about Starbucks and it's fall flavors, until Daichi thought he was going to pull his hair out from boredom. "Seriously Suga, I tried. But what was I supposed to do?"

"Maybe try and show a little bit of interest?" He tried to be sympathetic, but it was hard when Daichi was being so pig headed. "Do you think every girl really wants to hear you talk about volleyball all the time?"

"At least volleyball is interesting," Daichi pushed his notebook out of the way and leaned his head against his arms, "And that's not all I talk about."

"Well I don't count the endless prattling about some author no one knows anything about."

Daichi lifted his head as if he were about to argue back that Alexandre Dumas was not an unknown author, but then he met Suga's strong glare and the argument fizzled out. Instead, he gave another heavy sigh and pushed away from the table. "I hate it, Suga. It's like the only people ever interested are airheads or drama queens." He leaned back in his chair until it balanced on two legs, nearly toppling over if he wasn't careful. "All the nice ones only ever seen to like you and Kuroo."

Trying to hide the smirk from his face at seeing his friend jealous, Suga tried a different approach, "Did you ever think that maybe they were interested, but you just didn't see it?" It wasn't too much of a stretch. The last time they had gone out to a bar Suga had definitely seen more than a few girls eyeing his surly friend, but almost all had been scared off by the intimidating glint in his eyes. Now it was Suga's turn to sigh, "You know what Kuroo and I have in common that helped us find girlfriends?"

"An incessantly annoying positivity?"

But Suga only gave Daichi a strained smile, "We're nice. Maybe you should try it sometime, then you wouldn't scare so many of the good ones away."