Chapter 13: Icarus

"I can feel you staring at me, you know."

"I know."

"So, then stop it."

"Nah, I'm good."

Suga was sitting in the rickety chair across from Daichi's equally old desk. As an intern, the precinct hadn't deemed it quite necessary to purchase new furniture for him, especially now that he was almost done. And it wasn't like their intern would be getting too many people visiting him at the office anyway.

Or at least that was the thought.

His roommate leaned forward in his chair, wincing a little when it creaked rather loudly. But not removing his eyes from Daichi, who sat directly across from him and very clearly trying to avoid eye contact of any kind.

"Come on, will you stop it." Daichi squirmed in his seat uncomfortably.

"The only reason I'm here right now is because of you. So who's really to blame?" Suga's frown deepened and he edged his chair closer to the desk. "You said you would tell her."

Daichi kept his head low, trying and failing to focus on the case in front of him. The Chief had assigned it to him a few days ago and he still had no leads. When he finally spoke, it was low and rough with shame. "I know. And I will."

"And when might that be?" Came Suga's response, edged with frustration. Daichi was avoiding the obvious, just like he was avoiding looking him in the eye. "Because you said the same thing last week. And the week before that. And the week before that."

"Okay!" Daichi's hands flew upward in defeat, scattering a few loose papers in the process. "I get it! You don't have to waltz all the way down here to remind me." The scoff that Suga gave him was enough to know that he really did need to corner Daichi at work to force him to listen. Here he couldn't get away or try to skirt around the truth. Not with his superiors watching out of the corner of their eyes. He ran a tired hand through his hair. "I'm going to tell her soon, I promise."

"I'm going to need a more concrete answer other than 'soon'." Suga had grown tired of seeing the giddy smile on Jun's face week after week, of seeing the trust and affection in her eyes. Not that he didn't think she'd change once she knew the truth, but it was obvious nonetheless that Daichi hadn't brought it up.

Running a stressed hand through his hair, Daichi huffed in exasperation. "It's exam week. I don't want to stress her out more." He had never been so thankful for exams in his entire life. Jun was busier than ever prepping others for their tests, looking over practice essays, and reviewing flashcards with a stressed out Asahi. They had barely spent any time together in the past week and a half. But it was fine, because it meant another week to avoid the inevitable doom waiting for him at the end of that conversation. "After exams are over, I promise."

They regarded one another for a few long moments. Daichi finally raising his head to meet his friend's eye, wincing internally at the stony face he found. Suga wasn't going to let him off the hook on this. He'd have to find a way to break the news to Jun soon, otherwise he knew with absolute certainty someone else would blab it to her instead. And that would not go well.

Only somewhat satisfied with that answer, Suga finally rose to leave, dropping the bag of food on Daichi's desk that had been his excuse to see his friend at work. "Fine. But since exams are so important to you, I'm sure you'll be at the review that Jun has planned for us later today?"

Daichi snatched up the bag and furiously began opening a tin of cookies. "Obviously. I can't leave you shitheads alone with her can I? Kuroo would probably do something stupid and freak her out like last time."