Chapter 6: Looking for Mansfield Park

One of the joys of having an older brother like Taisei was knowing there was always someone to talk to. Jun was lucky to have a brother like hers, who was so willing and enthusiastic about offering advice on everything from how to get through a break up, to finding the best color to compliment her complexion. It was safe to say Taisei was her best friend, the one person she truly felt comfortable enough around to be herself. She trusted him completely, and she knew Taisei's compassionate nature meant he'd always be there for her. Whether as a shoulder to cry on, or to offer the uncannily accurate advice he knew she needed.

What Jun was not expecting was when Taisei's brotherly advice that had never failed to make her feel better, took a sudden U-turn.

"Well, you gotta admit, he's not wrong. You could definitely do with a night out. Ouch! Damnit Jun, that hurt!"

Jun always loved the weekends her brother came to visit. Away from the hustle and bustle of his new political career (and the hawklike attention of their mother), Taisei was a completely different person. He'd tie his hair back into a bun, and the itchy suit he always wore was tossed aside and exchanged for some sort of brightly colored print tank top and baggy jeans. Sporting oversized sunglasses and a matching pair for her, Taisei would show up to Jun's dorm early on a Saturday morning and drag her away from her books for a day of unplanned adventures. And while they were almost always out of her comfort zone, she never seemed to care. Taisei's energy would radiate like her own personal sun, showering anyone in vicinity with an unbreakable joy of life.

Today's exploration was no exception. True to form her brother arrived decked out in leopard print and lime green sunglasses, which he wore even inside the vinyl records store they were now perusing. At first Taisei was solely focused on finding some good music, chatting endlessly to his sister as he piled record after record into her outstretched arms. But it was when she didn't fight him over The Bee Gees that he finally stopped to assess her.

Physically, Jun was there next to him, a load of records in hand and the cute flower sunglasses he'd bought her perched on her head. But mentally, her mind was clearly elsewhere as she stared down at the record on the top stack, gaze foggy with thought. It took Taisei snatching the records from her and a very stern but concerned "hellllooo" before she blinked and returned her focus to the present. And it was then a further ten minutes of him pestering until she finally spilled the beans about her dorm room visitor the other night, and the impromptu plans they'd made this weekend. Red faced through the entire story, Jun had then let slip she thought about cancelling, and Taisei wasn't having it.

"What do you mean 'he's not wrong'!" Jun huffed exasperatedly. She hadn't meant to slap her brother so hard, but she also hadn't been expecting him to take Daichi's side over hers, and it hurt.

"Oh come on Jun, you gotta admit there's some truth in it." Taisei gingerly pressed a hand over the spot on his bicep Jun had slapped, pouting childishly when it stung. "I love ya little sis, but when was the last time you went somewhere with someone other than me and you actually had a good time?" He wasn't angry, more annoyed than anything, and he knew Jun could tell, but it didn't stop her shoulders drooping under the weight of it anyway. Letting out a heavy sigh, Taisei tapped Jun on the nose gently and spoke a bit calmer, "I'm not saying you're a recluse, Jun-bug, but you do spend a lot of time by yourself or with a book, and not many people see the Jun that I know." The Jun who would fight with him over which band was better, The Beach Boys or The Bee Gees; who would laugh so hard at stupid YouTube videos she snorted; and who had a somewhat unhealthy obsession with stuffed animals. His sweet little sister was one of the best people he knew, but no one else got to see it. "You're more fun than you let others see. So yeah, this guy is right, you could loosen up a bit."