16

(Ana POV)

I woke up, alone. I could still smell him on the pillow next to me. I pulled it over my face and breathed it in. It was masculine, sweet, warm. I stared at the ceiling remembering every detail of last night. A big grin spreading on my face. I got up too fast groaning in pain when I felt the soreness between my legs. Natasha was going to notice during practice...I grabbed a large t-shirt going to the bathroom and brushing my teeth. I pulled my hair back in a ponytail. SHIT..I had hickeys all over my neck. Steve really couldn't control himself. I have to do something about these, last thing I need is James feeling uncomfortable around me more than he has been.

I decided to wipe some cold water between my legs to help with the pain. Thank god I'm a doctor. I can grab some pain killers from the office. I pick the softest of underwear and some sweats. I get a sports bra to put under the long shirt. My phone pings from the nightstand.

Hey, I guess Steve told you by now but, I'm going to be in Wakanda for a few months. I need to do this for myself, for my head. I know we haven't been okay. Well, I haven't been okay, since you started dating him but, I hope you two can make this work. I wish for nothing more than your happiness. I know he will do everything he can to do that. I'll miss you. I won't be able to speak again after this, they are taking my phone. Something about part of therapy. They are taking my arm too. God this is hard to do. I will miss you Ana. Don't worry about me. I know you worry about everyone way too much and they need you over there more than I do here. Just, don't forget about me okay? I'll be back soon. Always yours doll - Bucky

My face dropped. What the fuck? I sat on the edge of my bed re-reading the message. I didn't even know what to say..should I say anything back?

I would never forget you James Buchanan Barnes 

I wait to see if he responds....nothing. Why didn't Steve tell me. Why didn't James tell me..I could have at least said goodbye. A tear falls from my eyes. James is gone...I lost someone else...

Steve walks into the room with a tray full of food and orange juice. I don't look at him, I just keep looking at my phone hoping James says something else. I know he wouldn't be able to but I was hoping.

"Baby what's wrong" Steve almost drops the tray before placing it on the dresser. He comes close and kneels in front of me placing one hand on my cheek and the other on my knee. "Baby..what happened?"

"You didn't tell me..." I couldn't figure out how to say anything. I was in shock..hurt. James and I were close friends...

Steve looks at the phone seeing James name on it, he hangs his head and sighs. "I was ..going to"

"But you didn't...instead you took me on a date and fucked me" I got up angry walking away from him.

"That's not fair" He got up putting his hands on his hips 

"Sorry..I just...You guys have become family to me and now..I can't do this, I can't lose someone else" The flood of tears poured out of my eyes. I could barely breath. Steve sighed taking two long steps to reach me holding me tightly against him. He kissed the top of my head before resting his chin on it.

"I didn't want to see you like this. I didn't want you to feel like this. I was trying to figure out how to tell you so it wouldn't hurt so much. I'm sorry" I accept his apology by wrapping my arms around his waist. He holds me there until my breathing calms down and I stop crying. "Come on, you need to eat." He pulls me to bed placing the sheets over my lap. I cross my legs sitting up, wiping the tears from my face. He puts the food on the bed between us. I smile at him noticing what it was.