one

Keira yawned as she dragged herself down the apartment steps and headed towards the front door. She sighed softly as she opened the door and watched cars drive by.

It was still dark out as the sun hasn't risen yet.

She closed her eyes, taking a deep breath as the crisp morning air sent goosebumps down her spine. This was her favorite type of weather.

She fished for her phone in her back pocket, glancing at the time. It was 5:45 am and she had to open up shop before her regular customer, Mrs. Johnson, came strolling in at 6:05 on the dot for a cream cheese bagel and coffee.

She had a long night studying last night so she didn't sleep much. Her switching shifts with her cousin didn't make it any better either.

She locked the door and took a few steps to the shop's front door, unlocking it. Her living above the shop made showing up for work slightly easier.

She walked in and took a deep breath, basking in the smell of the natural scent of the café. It was always warm and welcoming. She let the door close behind her and made a beeline straight for her parent's portrait that hung right behind the counter. She smiled to herself, softly stroking the picture frame.

"Let's have a good day today, Keira," She said aloud as she grabbed the radio remote, turning it on to hot 97 station.

She walked to the back office, resting her bag on the rolling chair. She grabbed her sage green apron and put it on, walking back to the front.

She began to wipe down the counter and tables, humming to the music that played on the radio. She then walked back behind the counter, restocking the breakfast muffins and bagels.

The front door chimed as Nigel, the morning cook walked in waving at her, "Mornin', Keira,"

"Morning Nigel, it's nice to see you."

"Same to you," he responded heading straight to the back room to clock in.

She leaned against the counter scrolling through her phone aimlessly until the door chimed again. She peeked over and noticed Mrs. Johnson strolling in, not forgetting to pick up the morning paper that sat on a newspaper rack next to the door.

"Good morning, Mrs. Johnson," Keira chirped with a sweet smile.

Seeing Mrs. Johnson always made her day.

"Good morning sweetheart, how are you doing? I'm surprised to see you here so early on a weekday."

"I'm doing fine, me and Ella switched shifts so she'll be closing today."

Luckily for Ella, Keira didn't have classes on Friday so she was able to cover the morning shift.

Mrs. Johnson nodded, "Well, it's good to see your beautiful smile this morning. Did you hear about the block party happening in a few weeks?"

Keira nodded, "Yes, everyone's been talking about it but I don't think I'm going," She smiled sheepishly.

She furrowed her brows, "Why not, darling?"

Keira swallowed hard as her throat began to feel tight, "It's on the anniversary of my parents—ya know."

Mrs. Johnson nodded understanding, resting her hand on top of Keira's, "I understand baby, we haven't had the block party since the fire but I know your parents were always excited to participate and I know they would want you to attend in their honor."

Mr. and Mrs. Gordon were always excited for the block's annual block party. It was a perfect time for the community to come together as one and celebrate despite the awful crime that occurs often. It was a day free of crime and the whole neighborhood understood that.

Keira didn't know how she felt about revisiting the place where she lost her parents. Because her old house was a block away from the shop, she avoided that direction at all costs.

Her living above the shop didn't make it any better but she was happy to have a roof over her head. The shop and the apartment above it have been in the family for years, and she was grateful to have it.

"Good morning Mrs. Johnson, here's your bagel and coffee," Nigel came over handing Keira her food.

She sighed in relief as she began bagging the bagel, thanking Nigel internally for interrupting.

"Good morning baby, thank you," Mrs. Johnson responded, handing Keira a crisp ten-dollar bill as he smiled.

"I hope to see you there, baby. Have a good morning," Mrs. Johnson smiled as Keira handed her change, bagel, and coffee.

"Same to you," Keira said softly watching Mrs. Johnson exit out of the store.

She let out a breath she didn't realize she was holding and rested her head on the counter.

•••

"Ella said thank you for covering her shift," Nathan announced as he walked through the apartment door with his spare key.

He set a box down on the dining table that read "Martha's Country Bakery" in bold letters and took his sweater off, resting it on the couch.

Keira entered the room wearing a plush sage green robe with a microfiber towel on her head.

Her eyes lit up as they landed on the white and red bakery box, "Nathan, you got me Martha's?" She cooed making a beeline straight to the dining table.

"I know this week has been hell for you, so I figured I could treat you with your favorite," He shrugged smiling at her tearing open the box.

"Thank you," she said softly, walking over to him giving a sweet peck on the cheek.

He smiled pulling her down onto him on the couch, making her sit on his lap. He watched as the water dripped down her neck from her freshly washed hair.

Keira and Nathan have been best friends since their freshman year of high school. Ten years later, the two still act like high schoolers with a crush on each other. There has always been this undeniable tension between the two, but they were both oblivious to it all.

She smiled at him, brushing his waves, "How are you?"

"Not for nothin', New York bitches mad annoying, I need to move to Idaho or some shit I can't deal with y'all no more."

Keira gasped, playfully hitting him in his chest, "Watch your mouth. It's the bitches you choose to fuck with, but have fun with them Idaho potato bitches."

"Nah, y'all a different breed," He shook his head laughing turning on the television.

She got up from his lap getting two forks and plates from the kitchen, "What Tianna do to you this time?"

"It's not Tianna, it's this other bitch," He responded.

Keira rolled her eyes walking back to the dining table, cutting two slices of the cheesecake.

"You have the worst taste in bitches," Keira said after a few moments, handing him a slice.

"I know your anti-men ass not talking!" He retorted, "I'm starting to think you like bitches instead,"

"Shut the fuck up," she mumbled sitting next to him on the couch.

He took a bite of the cheesecake, "What's your type then?"

She looked at him long and hard, then shrugged looking away, "I don't know."