seven

Keira sighed as she watched the news report, another shooting happened a few blocks away. She turned the television off, getting out of bed not wanting to hear about the tragic story. At this point, she was desensitized to things like that.

She checked her phone and looked at today's date. It was the anniversary of her parent's death. She missed her parents terribly but usually put their tragic death in the back of her mind. Doing so prevented her from properly mourning the loss of her mother and father.

She walked over to her closet, rummaging through her clothes. She hasn't yet decided what she wanted to wear, but she wanted to be comfortable.

Moments later, she finally decided on a dark blue velour tracksuit paired with white Nike Air-forces.

Keira showered and got ready for the block party. Once she was dressed, Ella called her.

"Hello?"

"Hey, babe. I'm just now closing the store, it got busy out of nowhere. I still have to go home and get ready so I'll just meet you at the block party, okay?"

Keira sighed, not wanting to go to the block party alone, "Okay."

"Unless you want to wait for me, it's up to you."

"No, no. It's okay, I'll meet you there."

They were already four hours late as the block party started at 3 pm.

"Are you sure?" Ella was concerned about having her cousin go by herself to the same place her parents died. "Where's Nathan, is he going?"

As much as Keira tries to hide it, Ella knows Keira is still hurting.

"Nathan is busy, Ella. I'll be fine, see you there."

"Okay."

Keira ended the call, grabbed her keys and bag, heading out the door.

Her body began to feel heavy with every step she took as she got closer to her old block. Memories from her childhood flashed in her mind with every blink. She fanned her face as she felt tears brimming her eyes.

The bass from the loudspeakers flowed through her body as she stepped to the block. Keira stopped, took a deep breath, and stared at the street sign. She gulped, noticing her throat becoming dry but remaining frozen in her spot.

A few people gave her small waves and pity smiles, as some of them were customers and others were old neighbors who were aware of the tragic event that happened on this day two years ago.

"Keira, baby?" Keira was pulled out of her trance as a warm hand engulfed hers.

She cleared her throat and straightened herself out, "Hi, Mrs. Johnson,"

Mrs. Johnson gave her a concerned smile, "How are you, sweetheart? I'm happy that you came, where's Ella?"

"Ella is on her way but I don't think I'll be staying long."

Keira took her phone out, shooting Ella and Denise a quick text about their whereabouts.

"That's fine, baby. Just try to enjoy yourself in the meantime," She gave Keira a warm smile. "When my grandson come, I would like you to meet him,"

Keira gave her a tight smile, "Okay, Mrs. Johnson."

Absolutely not, she thought. Mrs. Johnson has been trying to set her up with her grandson for years and it never happened.

"I know this is a hard day for you, sweetie. Just know that everyone is here to celebrate the life of your parents and all they did for the community. You and your parents are loved. I'm gonna sit my old self down now. I'll be at Mrs. Tabitha's house if you need anything, dear."