World Building

In my AU, the masks are actual, singing and dancing creatures, and not human celebrities in costumes. Despite this, they are still called "masks". 

Every Masked Singer studio in the world has a secret portal that takes you to an alternate dimension called the MaskVerse aka The Masked Universe, where all the masks live. The MaskVerse consists of different Mask Cities that are kinda like the earth's continents. Each portal will take you to a different Mask City. For example, the portal in the American Masked Singer studio will take you to Mask City, USA, the portal in the Australian Masked Singer studio will take you to Mask City, Australia, and so on and so forth.

MaskVerse and all of the Mask Cities were created by the masks' ancestors to protect themselves from the real world. 

The Masked Singer was created to show off the talents of these masks. The format is the same as it is in real life, but instead of unmaskings, the eliminated contestant(s) is/are interviewed by Nick or Niecy about their experience on the show.

The animal and bug masks have animal-like and bug-like features and abilities, but still have human qualities that don't make them real animals or bugs.

The food-themed masks are really creatures that look like food, but they aren't. They are in no way edible.

The only ones that aren't masks are Alien, Astronaut, Baby Alien, the Russian Dolls, Beach Ball, Jack in the Box, Mother Nature, Sun, Night Angel, Unicorn, Dragon, Hydra, Baby, Skeleton, and Robot. 

Alien, Baby Alien, and Astronaut are aliens.

The Russian Dolls, Beach Ball, and Jack in the Box were just inanimate toys before they were brought to life by Mother Nature, who is a personification of nature.

Sun and Night Angel are personifications of day and night, respectively.

Unicorn, Dragon, and Hydra are just their own species.

Baby is a human. Skeleton was a human, too. Until he was reincarnated as a skeleton.

And Robot is, well, a robot.

Should a mask's human counterpart suddenly pass away, the mask will continue to live. For example, even though Bob Saget is dead, Squiggly Monster will not die.

The masks have real names, but most of them just go by the names of their species.