In Between the Lines

Author's Notes: I always wanted to write to excepts from when Tamera and Teddy had just started their intimate adventures and then decided never to do it again. So these stories would probably fall between chapter twenty one and twenty two.

Part One: Idle Tension

Teddy thought it would be easy to go back to status quo with Tam. He'd been able to do this so easily before with other women. He felt as though the scratch had been itched well enough that neither of them would need to think about it again. However, when Tam opened the door to her apartment he found that is was in unchartered territory. She smiled at him shyly and stepped to the side and let him inside. He came in and instead of bursting into a conversation about his day. He was speechless and his mouth was really dry. He wanted to know if she felt as "out of place" as he did. She seemed normal. She was wearing her normal grey sweatpants and black tank top. Her hair was balled up in a style she called the honey bun. She went into the kitchen and poured a couple glasses of wine.

She handed him a glass that he quickly began to drink. She chuckled.

"What?" He looked at her dumbfounded. Tam felt his energy was off but couldn't put her finger on why. She tried not to think too much on as they had promised each other to remain platonic.

"Nothing, did you look at your grade from Professor Dawson?" She pulled her laptop into her lap and began typing.

"Nah, I know I passed." Ted said and Tam copied him and giggled. She logged into his blackboard and searched for the test.

"94, not bad Grey," she gave him that look that he used view as close to parental pride. However, this time it was different or at least it made him feel different and he wanted to act on it.

"Do I get a reward for doing a good job?" He asked before he had the chance filter the statement through his brain. Tam's glance in his direction finally gave a glimpse of the wanting Teddy was feeling. He was thanking God that the feeling seemed to be mutual.

Tam quickly tried calm her thoughts, but she couldn't help but wonder if he was propositioning her again. She didn't want that. Well, she wanted not to want that. She took a deep breath and started to look up her other classes.

"Silly Teddy, I have no reward to offer you," she muttered tried to seem engrossed in her laptop. She was chewing on her bottom lip as she willed the words on her screen to capture her interest. They sat in silence for what seemed like an eternity until the kitchen timer went off and Tamera went into the kitchen to fix their plates. Teddy did as he normally did and followed her and sat the bar. She placed his food in front of him and as if on cue his phone buzzed and a notification lit the screen. Curiosity got the best of Tam. Hillary, seeing the name of some random woman made her heart drop into her stomach. She knew it wouldn't take him long to find a new interest. He must've just been messing with her earlier or he was just anxious because he knew he had better things he was about to be doing. She sat beside him and began to toy with her food. It wasn't until then that she realized something odd.

"You don't like the Swedish meatballs?" She asked he would've normally be close to finished before she sat down with her meal.

"Huh," he was picking at his food too. The food was good it was always good but there were other things that he was wanting. Things he promised not to ask for. "Tam, your food is as amazing as always. I'm just kinda out of it." He knew that excuse wasn't going to fly. Tamera was going to want to know why.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Tamera asked as predicted. Teddy just shook his head and Tamera snorted.

"What?"

"Maybe you want to share with Hillary?" Tamera muttered and Teddy looked confused. Then he looked at his phone ... oh, jealousy, the was new. He liked the idea of Tamera being jealous it fueled somehow and made him more comfortable in her space. He wanted to laugh about it and tease her, but he could see how hurt and awkward Tam felt.

"Tam," he started to explain. The girl was in his class and she put her number in his phone months ago before all of their stuff. He seriously hadn't been looking for anyone or anything new.

"No Teddy, don't explain. We are going back to the way we were. You owe me no explanations," she blurted out trying to hide her self-inflicted hurt. She moved over to her couch and pulled her television remote out of her coffee table drawer.

"Baby .... I mean Tam," Teddy started and Tamera put her hand up. He sat down beside her and watched as she flipped through the channels. She landed on goofy comedy from the past, Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me?

"Let's watch this I heard it is stupid funny," Teddy suggested and Tam wrinkled her nose up.

"Don't you have someplace you have to be? You know things to do?" She asked bitingly without affording him a look.

"I honestly don't. I'm all yours if you want me here," he said a little to seriously. The two locked eyes for a moment. Tamera's eyes shifted their glance to Teddy's mouth. She knew they weren't a couple but she seriously wondered what it would feel like to kiss him. She knew how amazing his mouth had been other places and imagined kissing him to be no different.

"So Tammy? The movie," Teddy whispered and cleared his throat. He knew what she wanted and he would've been lying if he weren't curious about her soft pillowy lips.

"Hmmm, oh yeah sure whatever you want." She scooted back and made herself comfortable. Teddy got up and lowered the lights in her apartment. He thought maybe if he cut the lights off his desires wouldn't be so evident to Tam.

Half way through the movie the two had become engrossed in the movie that old habits began to take over. Teddy had laid his head in Tamera lap and her hand was resting on his chest. It was a platonic vibe until she started absentmindedly toying with his hair and picking at the buttons of Teddy's shirt. He looked up at her and realized that she was focused the movie. She wasn't intentionally trying to turn him on but she definitely was. It was just her touch ... he craved it. He felt as though he needed it. He started to unbutton his shirt and he moved her hand inside.

"Teddy," she whispered and tried to retrieve her hand. Teddy tightened his grip for a second but then let her go.

"I know, I know dammit," Teddy grumbled. He sat up and raked his fingers through his hair. "And as usual you're right. He stood up and it wasn't until then that Tamera his bulge. "I should go."

"No Teddy, I don't want you to leave. I mean I just ... I thought we said we weren't," she stammered she wanted to make him stay. Teddy gathered her in his arms and she wrapped her arms around his neck. Teddy's breath at the crook of Tam's neck sent a satisfying chill down her spine.

"Tammy girl, I gotta go or else the night will get the better of us." He kissed her cheek three times and then finally let her go. He opened up the door and Tam felt like her heart was breaking for some reason. Maybe it's because she assumed he was going to get what he felt he couldn't take from her.

"Teddy," called out for him willing herself to say some extraordinary to make him stay. However, her mind was completely blank. He looked back her with wide eyes expecting something what he wasn't sure.

"Sweet dreams Teddy," she said with sorrow in her voice. She wrapped her arms around herself for comfort.

"You too baby girl, you too" He left Tamera's apartment thinking that his curiosity about his Tam might have completely ruined the only friendship her ever had.

Author's Note: It's been a long time. I'm just trying to get my groove back. Please review and no flames :-)