One of Those Days [stucky]

[modern stucky au]

Bucky hadn't been this low in weeks. The funny thing was, for the past few months, he had actually been okay, he'd been happy. He had moved in with his boyfriend, Steve Rogers, after a year of them being together. It took a bit of adjusting, but after a couple of weeks, Bucky felt right at home in the small, cozy one-bedroom apartment.

Steve would surprise him most mornings with delicious, hot breakfast and a bouquet of fresh flowers from a florist shop that one of his friends owned on their block. They would have dinner together in the evenings when their work schedules permitted it. They would lay close together every night in the same bed, taking turns being the little spoon. Every day was perfect, life had been perfect, so why the hell had he woke up feeling so shitty?

He was sitting on the side of his and Steve's bed, his hands covering his face. His head was aching as a sharp pain lanced through his chest.

Steve wasn't at home, he'd already left for work. Bucky imagined him carefully getting up from the bed, getting ready in the bathroom as quietly as he could, knowing that Bucky had the day off work and wanted to sleep in. Steve was always so considerate, always so worried about Bucky and how he was feeling. He would hate that Bucky was feeling like this.

Despite his ailments, Bucky got up from the bed and headed to the kitchen to make himself a bowl of cereal. He didn't feel much like eating breakfast, but he knew that Steve would want him to. After fixing himself a bowl of Froot Loops (Bucky's favorite, Steve's was Frosted Flakes), he sat down in the living room to watch TV, needing a distraction from what he was feeling.

His chest still hurt, and his head still ached, and he still had an underlying anxious feeling telling him that something was wrong. He didn't know why he felt the way he did, but he wished it would stop.

Bucky grabbed the television remote from off the coffee table and flipped through the channels until he landed on something that looked mildly interesting. He didn't really care what was on the TV as long as it kept his attention away from his anxiety. Once he was finished eating, he got up to put his bowl in the sink and returned to the couch to watch more TV. 

Eventually, a couple of hours passed and Bucky found himself dozing off. He fell asleep, and he didn't wake up until he heard Steve coming in from work.

"Honey, I'm home!" Steve comedically announced, closing the front door behind him and throwing his keys on the entry table. He noticed Bucky lying on the couch, yawning and stretching like he had just woken up for the first time that day. "Did you sleep all day, Buck?"

Steve headed over to the couch, and Bucky sat up to make room for him. As soon as Steve sat down, he immediately noticed that something was wrong with his boyfriend. His face flooded with concern. "Is everything okay, Buck? You look pale."

There was no reason for Bucky to lie to Steve, his boyfriend could always see through his bullshit. He knew something was wrong with him, and so did Bucky, but he couldn't tell Steve what it was when he didn't know himself. He looked into Steve's eyes with his own, letting them reply since he couldn't.

Silence fell over the room as Steve and Bucky's gaze on each other stayed locked. Steve broke the silence, his voice soft, "hey, it's okay. We don't have to talk about it about right now if you don't want to."

Bucky shook his head, "no, it's not that I don't want to. It's just ever since I woke up this morning, I haven't felt great I guess. It's my anxiety. I just have this anxious feeling for some reason and I don't know why."

Steve frowned, thinking about his next words. Once he looked like he knew what he was going to say, he grabbed Bucky's hand, which, if you asked Bucky, was the most comforting gesture in the world.

"I feel that way sometimes too," Steve's thumb began light strokes over Bucky's hand, "it's just one of those days, but we'll get through it together. Just let me know if it gets worse, okay?"

Bucky nodded, giving Steve a small smile before cuddling up beside him and burying his face in Steve's neck. Steve put his arm around Bucky, instinctively pulling him closer.

"We should watch a movie and order a pizza for dinner," Bucky said, his words mumbled seeing as his face was still buried in Steve's neck.

Steve let out a small laugh and placed a kiss on top of Bucky's head, "we can do whatever you want to, Sweetheart."