The Woman at the Bar | Part One [evanstan]

Sebastian unlocked the door to his apartment, attempting to shut the door behind him; however, Chris had caught up to him in the hallway and pushed against the door to where it wouldn't fully close.

"What the fuck, Seb?" Sebastian rolled his eyes and let go of the door, Chris pushed it open to where he could walk inside and closed it behind him. "Are you going to tell me why the hell you're so mad at me? You haven't spoken to me since we left the bar."

"Just leave me alone, Chris. Go home."

"I'm not going home until you tell me why you're so upset!" Chris watched as Sebastian walked into his kitchen, grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge and then retreating to his couch in the living room. "Seb, come on."

Chris walked over to the couch and took a seat beside Sebastian. It was bad enough he couldn't get Sebastian to talk to him, but now Sebastian was refusing to look at him. All he did was stare at the blank television screen in front of him like it was the most interesting thing on Earth, purposefully avoiding Chris' gaze.

"Was it something I said?" Chris asked, his voice soft. When Sebastian didn't answer he continued, "was it something I did?"

To Chris' surprise, this elicited a reaction from Sebastian. He turned his head to face toward Chris, his expression sent chills through Chris' spine to say the least. Chris had never seen Sebastian so angry, so hurt.

"I saw you kissing that woman," Sebastian said through bared teeth, "and I didn't like it."

    It was true. Chris had kissed a woman while at the bar. It was after he had finished his first beer and gotten up to get another. He left Sebastian and their friends while he went to the bar to get another drink. That's when he bumped into someone who had recognized him under his Red Sox cap.

    The two of them quickly got lost in conversation and not too long after, Chris had found himself leaning in for a chaste kiss. The encounter wasn't anything serious and hadn't meant much to Chris, seeing as he didn't bother to learn the woman's last name or get her phone number.

    It shouldn't have made Sebastian upset. Sebastian and him weren't even together, not anymore at least. It had been almost three months since they had called off their relationship, deciding that they were better off as friends. Eventually they were going to see other people, it was inevitable. Sebastian had no right to be mad.

    "Seb, it was barely even a kiss; besides, what does it matter to you? We're not even together anymore. Remember? You and I both agreed we were better off as friends and—"

    "I'm aware, Chris! I was there! I can do without the recap!" Sebastian yelled. He stood up and went back into the kitchen. He rested his elbows on the kitchen island, burying his face in his hands. Chris followed him, stepping lightly, afraid of setting Sebastian off again.

    "I know you were there, Seb. I just meant, I don't understand why you're so upset. We're not together anymore. We're both going to see other people at some point, and I don't want you to hate me if I kiss someone else or go out with someone else."

    Sebastian sighed, removing his hands from his face. "I know. I know. I'm being a fucking asshole. It's been a while, and I shouldn't care if you kiss someone else, but I do. I hated seeing you with her."

    "You're not an asshole," Chris sighed and walked over to the fridge and got out two cans of beer. He sat the cans down onto the island, sliding Sebastian's to him from the other side where he was standing. "You just need time, it's okay."

    You just need time. Chris' words echoed in Sebastian's head from the moment they left Chris' lips. He wished Chris was right. He wished he could move on. He wished time would take away all his feelings for the man in front of him.

    "What if I don't need time?" Sebastian's voice was so low that it was almost inaudible, but Chris had still heard him.

    Confusion washed over Chris' face as he popped his can of beer open. "What do you mean?" he asked before taking a sip.

Sebastian hesitated. His face grew red from the heat of Chris' stare, waiting for him to elaborate on his last statement. There was no turning back. There was no use in trying to stave off his feelings any longer. Chris should know the truth. He should tell Chris how he feels.

    "What if I don't need time because..." Sebastian trailed off, his confidence declining. He met Chris' eyes. God, Sebastian, spit it out already. "What if I don't need time because I don't want to get over you."