chapter eleven

It was early that morning, and the Crows had stopped the carriage. Elham had quickly changed back into her regular clothes, glad to be out of the dress. The Crows piled out and moved to stand behind the trunk Alina was stowed away in. They stood ready to defend themselves, Jesper with his hand on his pistol.

Elham put her hand on top of Jesper's, reholstering his pistol. "Saints Jesper, we didn't go through all that trouble just for you to shoot her."

"Relax, love, it's just a precaution. Besides, I don't think a bullet is going to do much damage against the literal sun."

Noises came from inside the trunk, and the lid popped open, Alina slowly emerging. She cautiously climbed out and jumped down in front of the Crows, holding her hands up in surrender.

"We don't want any trouble."

Alina's voice was shaky. "Neither do I, so I'll just be on my way."

Kaz swiftly drew up his cane, blocking her from getting away on his side. Jesper stepped forward hesitantly. "Clearly, you want out of East Ravka. We can help you. We have a secure route through the Fold."

Inej was gripping Elham's hand tightly, and Elham was almost having to hold Inej up to keep her from collapsing. She knew this must have been a lot for a believer. Hell, it was a lot for her too.

Alina glanced at them warily, and Inej nodded at her, Elham offering a reassuring smile.

"I prefer to travel alone."

Elham quipped up. "Baghra wouldn't want you to. She told me about you. You're safe with us, I promise. He's not going to get you, not while I'm still standing."

Elham knew her attempt was futile, but it was worth a shot. Alina's face contorted with hesitation, like she wanted to trust her, but she knew she couldn't.

"No, I can't. Like I said, I prefer travelling alone."

Jesper raised a hand towards her, signalling he meant no harm. "Don't be rash. You stick with us, and everybody gets what they want."

"I'm not being anyone's captive ever again. So step aside, and let me pass."

Elham almost felt guilty. She remembered the fear she felt escaping the Little Palace, and she knew there was nothing she could say or do to ease Alina. She looked to Kaz, who still hadn't moved his cane, blocking Alina in.

Kaz relented. "I'm afraid we can't let that happen."

Jesper put his hand back on his pistol, and Alina's eyes caught it. She moved her hands together, and Elham quickly dropped Inej's hand, raising hers. She sparked a flame, ready to defend the Crows, when she was blinded by a searing light.

Inej had blocked it, and Elham had turned away before she got the full force of it, so she recovered quickly enough to see Jesper and Kaz ducked away, groaning, and Inej's hands raised in surrender.

Elham had two options. Raise her hands and fight, cornerining Alina, or, she could let her go. She could get her kruge, ensure the safety of the Crow Club and Inej's indenture, or, she could betray Kaz, and end up indentured to Heleen at the Menagerie.

But when she saw Alina's hands raised in defense, the look in her eye matching a scared and defenseless animal, she dropped her hands to her side, stepping back towards Inej.

She'd accepted her fate the second she offered herself up in Inej's place, and she knew she'd do anything to ensure the safety and security of the Crows, her family. There was no point in capturing Alina, not when she had been in the exact same position all those years ago.

Alina was scanning her eyes between Inej and Elham, slowly lowering her hands when Inej had slightly bowed her head to her. She looked at Elham, who just gave her a quick nod. Alina nodded her head back in thanks, and dashed around the side of the carriage and away from the Crows.