Prologue

At the end of the 15th century, Edward IV, a king of legendary personal beauty, ruled over England as absolute master. He had defeated the warrior pride of the great barons, the Scots in the North and the Lancastrian rebels. 

Parliaments across the realm obeyed his orders and councils throughout Northern Europe were in his pay. He had three adult sons to ensure his line. His eldest daughter was married to the Holy Roman Emperor.

 He counted eight dukes amongst his vassals and the web of his alliances extended as far as Poland. This monarch was concerned with England's ideal state. Under his rule, England was great and the English wretched.

Only one power had dared stand up to him: the Order of Carthusian Monks and Brothers of the Sword. This group, at one and the same time military, economic, and spiritual, had acquired its fame and wealth during the Crusades, some two-hundred-fifty years earlier. 

King Edward was concerned by the independence of the Brothers, whilst their immense wealth excited his greed. With the blessing of Pope Innocent, King Edward brought against them the greatest prosecution in English history, since there were over 5,000 accused. Their trials lasted seven years and during that time, every possible infamy was committed. 

This story begins at the end of the seventh year.