Tolomei Wins

Such was the hatred the Duke of Clarence bore for Sir James Pole that he was willing to sabotage the finances of England to ruin him. He never had been completely privy to works between the King and his Lord Chancellor, but he knew that the White Rose had for some time wished to find an excuse to attaint the Italian bankers and seize their assets. If the jumped up lawyer succeeded in finding that excuse, then his security would be guaranteed. If not, then, Clarence would be the first man at court. As he thought he ought to be, in his own rather conceited and arrogant way.

"My brother," Clarence had remarked on the morning of Sir John's death, "We are living in the ninth decade of disaster."

He referred to the ninth decade of each century previous for his family. There were many unhappy precedents. The 1190s saw the breakup of the Angevin Empire;1290s, a failed invasion of Scotland; 1390s, the tyranny of Richard II and the rise of the Lancastrian usurpers. Only the 1090s had drawn to a close without a debacle.
"Sir James pursues policies that aid him and him alone. You really ought to have listened to me and Richard when it came to that Scottish business. "

The White Rose raised his hands in defeat.

"I cannot undo the past."

Scotland had always been the open and infected wound in the Kingdom's northern flank. Since Edward I, English kings had been trying to either conquer Scotland or reduce it to the status of a vassal. Edward IV had come close with his conquest of Berwick, but the Auld Alliance prevented any serious progress being made. In 1491, Pole had called a meeting of Parliament to raise funds necessary for a war. After due consideration, the Commons acquiesced. But it was too late; the weather changed and made a march through Northumberland and into the Scottish Lowlands impossible. The White Rose had marched out of Berwick and came close to Edinburgh before withdrawing. Pole, anxious to end the crisis, then summoned the Scottish King to Berwick to sign a treaty, recognizing English suzerainty in Britain and agreeing to revoke the Auld Alliance. As soon as Christmas Tide had passed, however, and Edward was back in London, King James denounced the treaty and the problem resumed again.

Clarence, many of the nobles, and even Gloucester were furious, convinced that the Lord Chancellor had been bought out by the King of Scots. The Exchequer was empty. Three years later the King of Scots, acting on his own initiative, arrested all English merchants in Edinburgh. But with no excess money flowing in, the Crown could not retaliate. The Italian bankers were a tempting target to bring finances up to a reasonable level. But they were well informed. This was largely due to past experiences, most notably when Edward had forced them to purchase the privilege to work in England. Yet Clarence also gave them information in exchange for handsome fees. The first clue that a purge directed against them came when Pole announced that Parliament would sit in mid-October.

Shortly thereafter, the Duke of Clarence came to Tolomei.

"As I understand it, my brother has begun to call Master Pole into his office more regularly. The people are fed up with them both and finances must be set in order soon."

"What else has your brother said?" asked Tolomei.

"He tells me nothing. But I've heard rumors that attainders will be declared at this Parliament. I would look to your own survival."

Tolomei turned pale for a moment. But in short order he regained his composure and smiled.

"I wonder if the Bishop of London might visit me in a few days."

"I shall send for him," replied Clarence.

It was Saturday. By the following Monday, the Bishop was in the office of Master Spinello Tolomei. 

"Why have you summoned me, lord Banker?"

Tolomei, his fat body comfortably settled, had his hands clasped upon hisstomach.