At the Great Door of Saint Paul's

They were allowed to exit the cart once they had arrived at the square of Saint Paul's The vicious crowds were held at bay by men with halberds and the King's Archers. The doors to the Cathedral were opened and the four men were escorted towards the massive arches. The screams of "Death to the Heretics" filled the air. The Grand Prior took one final look at the crowd before Thomas Brackenbury and his men shoved him forward into the ancient church.

At the end of the pews, near the altar, sat the Archbishop of York and the Bishop of London, William Pole, a half brother of the Chancellor of the Realm. But the three men whom Green hated with an abiding passion were not there. Morton, Knox, Edward.

The four men were shackled once more and the Archbishop of York began to speak.

"We have had several confessions by each of the men accused, as well as others. Several of the Sworn Brothers attest to buggery practiced within the ranks of the Knights. Raymond of Lincoln has confessed to forcing novices to spit upon the Holy Cross for, as he said, the cross is mere wood and the True God is in heaven."

Raymond was the Visitor General and turned to James Green. There was a look of horror on his face.

"Could I have said that, brother? Could I?" he whispered.

Green wasn't listening. He wished that he had had a sword by his side, so he could run the Archbishop through. How could the Commissions of Inquiry have failed to understand, for it had been explained to them a thousand times, that this test of denial had been imposed upon the novices for the sole purpose of discovering their attitude in the event of their being taken a prisoner by the Lithuanians or Turks and called upon to deny their religion?

The Grand Prior failed to notice that John of Kingsbridge was in a similar feeling, with a look of sheer rage and anger on his face. But the Archbishop went on, finishing with the statement that the men were forgiven, and would be sentenced to a solitary life in a monastery.

"Are they going to spare us?" asked the Visitor General "Did you hear that, Brother? They are going to spare us! They will let us live. "

Green looked at  Raymond of Lincoln with disgust. The Archbishop was about to sit down when he heard a voice yelling.

"I PROTEST! I PROTEST THIS UTTERLY INQUISITOUS SENTENCE, AND I SAY THAT THE CRIMES WE ARE ACCUSED OF ARE FABRICATED!"

William Pole bolted out of his chair, purple with rage.

"You lie! You confessed before the Commission and the Keeper of the Seals"

"MY ONLY CRIME" Green went on "IS TO HAVE YIELDED TO YOUR THREATS AND SCHEMES! I SAY BEFORE GOD AND MAN THAT I AM THE GRAND PRIOR OF AN ORDER THAT IS INNOCENT AND HOLY!"

"YOU CONFESSED TO SODOMY!" screamed the Bishop of London, enraged.

"UNDER TORTURE!"

"YOU ADMITTED TO HERESY!"

"UNDER TORTURE!" Green repeated, as the echo hit the cathedral like a thunderclap. "I RETRACT IT ALL!"

John of Kingsbridge glared at the bishop.

"Our weakness has been taken advantage of,' he said. 'We are the victims of your plotting and of your false promises. It is your hate and your vindictiveness that have brought us to this pass! But I, too, protest before God that we are innocent. THOSE WHO SAY OTHERWISE ARE SPREADING A DAMN LIE!"

The Bishop of London collapsed back into his chair, worn out and defeated. Lord Lovell turned to him and muttered.

"Do something. If the crowd gets wind of this they'll break in and we'll all be torn to shreds!"

The Bishop looked up at him, confused.

"Do something!" Lovell repeated.

Indeed, the Provost remembered the riots of 1483, when it was believed that Elizabeth Woodville had stolen from the treasury no less than a hundred thousand crowns in gold. Royal officials had been hacked to pieces in the streets. The Queen had died in shock some days later. 

The Bishop looked at the monks and friars for advice. They were just as astonished as he was. And so, Bishop William Knox stood from his chair, knees trembling.

"Very well," he stammered. "Since you choose to reject the Church's Justice, the Church rejects you! We--"

He paused to catch his breath and glare at the men who'd ruined everything.

"We hand you over to the King, there for him to dispense justice!"