3. The Man With The Umbrella

I didn't wake up to my own accord, this time round. Instead someone was shaking me awake. "Haneul. Wake up." Sae byeok said while shaking me. I groaned.

"I'm tired, let me sleep." I said to her, I knew she wouldn't leave me alone.

"Haneul, you have to. We don't know when the next game or meal will happen." She said me, I sat up and looked at her.

"Fine. I'm up." I said to her while rubbing my eyes.

"Look what I brought with me. For protection." She said before pulling her switch blade out of her pocket. I looked at her hand before trying to hide the knife.

"Sae Byeok put it away before someone catches you with it." I said to her while looking around.

"Let them see, at least then they'll know not to bother us." She said to me I guess the was true.

"How did you even sneak it in here?" I asked her confusedly.

"I was awake the whole time, I made it so I wouldn't get knocked out by the gas." She said to me, I smiled.

"I wish I knew how you did that before coming back. I would've snuck something in with me." I said to her with a smile.

"Being awake wasn't that good, especially when I saw what they did to you..." She said before stopping, as if she didn't want to tell what she saw.

"What did you see?" I asked her wanting to know.

"I don't want to tell you because I know how you'll react." She said to me, that's when I knew it had be something bad.

"I won't ask anymore questions." I said to her, I looked at the bored and saw that 187 had rejoined the game. I got out of the uncomfortable bed and we sat on the stairs.

"What do you think you'll so with the money if you win?" She asked me. I thought for a second.

"Well, I would help your mom get over to the south. Then I would make sure that we all had a place to live. Maybe we could go to America so that we could be free and we could be together without people judging us." I said to her, at least that way we could become wives if we got that far. I saw her smiling.

"As long as we get to go to Jeju Island I'll be happy." She said to me, I'd seen pictures from Jeju island. It looked nice there.

"I'm sure we can work that in at some point." I said making her smile. Her eyes drifted off somewhere.

"I need to do something quickly, stay here." She said to me before standing up and walking over to 101 and his henchmen. Before she came back an announcement went off.

"Attention. Your mealtime begins now. All players, please form a line in the center of the room. Let me repeat the instruction. Attention. Your mealtime begins now. All players, please form a line in the center of the room." The announcement said, we all started making our way to the center and forming multiple lines. When I took the food, I went back to where I was sat before. When I opened up the container I looked at the food.

"At least it's not a singular piece of food." I said before eating some of the rice.

"It's cold. But at least they feed us." She said to me. That was true. It still tasted good even if it was cold.

"I don't feel safe here sometimes." I said to her out of nowhere. She looked at me.

"I could tell after the first day. After you saw me in that fight." She said to me.

"I got scared for a minute. I thought he was gonna kill you before I got the chance to even say hi." I said to her while looking down.

"But he didn't because you stepped in." She said making me smile. "But if it make you feel any safer, you can sleep in my bed with me." She said in a whisper. That would make me feel better.