9. One Lucky Day

I was numb. I couldn't shake the image of Sae byeok. That was how I would remember her now, her lifeless bleeding body. Making it so I couldn't help her. "Player 217, Player 218 and player 456, welcome to the final game. Before we begin, we'll flip a coin to decide who played offense or defense. Please choose a shape. Triangle or square." The masked man said to us.

"Triangle." Gi-hun and I said at the same time. That left Sang-woo with square. The coin was flipped and it landed on triangle.

"It's triangle. Please choose either offense or defense." The masked man told us, Gi-hun and told me how to play and what to pick. We stared at Sang-woo for a while before choosing our role.

"Offense." We both replied.

"Player 217 and player 456 will play offense. 218 will be defend." The masked man said before the doors opened. We entered the room, I saw the doll from Red Light, Green Light. Still as creepy as before. "For the final game, you'll both be playing Squid Game. Let me explain the rules of Squid Game. One, the attacker must enter the squid shape court, run past the defense, and then tap the area inside the squid's head with his or her foot to secure the win. Two, the defender must block the attacker's advance and for them outside of the court's bounds in order to win. Three, if a situation arises, in which either player is unable to continue playing the game, the last one or two standing will be the winner." The masked man said explaining the rules. Me and Gi-hun were coming out alive.

"A player's unable to continue. Could you explain that?" Gi-hun asked wanting to know more.

"That would be referring to the player's death. And now, with that, let the game begin." The masked man said, Gi-hun and I went to our place. He told me to tighten my laces and I did. He then picked up some dirt from the ground. I then followed his lead. Waiting for him to leave the first circle.

"We always used to play this as kids. When we cross...do you remember what we used to call it?" Gi-hun asked him, I saw Sang-woo with his knife raised.

"Shut up. Who cares about all that?" He asked before going to stab Gi-hun. I picked up some dirt before Gi-hun threw his handful in Sang-woo's face. He moved and I went to the circle. I then threw my lot in Sang-woo's face before getting to the other side where Gi-hun was waiting for me.

"Inspector royal. 'Inspector royal,' we called it." Gi-hun said before it started to rain. This was perfect. Me and Gi-hun kept staring at Sang-woo.

"I put an end to her suffering. You know she would have died anyway. Haneul, I was saving you from watching her die in pain." Sang-woo said to me.

"You keep my name out of your mouth." I said to him. Could we just kill this man now.

"That's bullshit. Stop lying. She could've survived. They would've treated her." Gi-hun said to us, these people maybe dehumanized but I knew they would've helped her.

"I know what you're like, okay? You're both the reason that I had to kill her. I knew you three would stop all this, so she didn't die in there." He said to us, so he just cared about winning.

"Was that it? You killed someone because this might end?" Gi-hun asked him, this man was so selfish. I just wanted to stab him already.

"Yeah! You and those girls would have been the majority you needed to get out! Going home without a single cent. I couldn't do that!" He shouted at us.

"Who cares what you would be going home with!" I shouted at him.

"They're the ones who stopped me. 'Cause I was gonna kill you with this." Gi-hun said before pulling his knife out. I decided to take mine out as well. "It's over. We won't let you leave with that money." Gi-hun said making Sang-woo scoff.