Chapter 1

I walked in my house, throwing my bag on the floor.

"Kace pick up your bag." My mother said.

I groaned and picked it up carrying it to my room. There I threw it on my floor and walked back downstairs.

"I'm going out." I announced.

"Where?"

I just shrugged, "Skate Park."

"Be careful out there, you know with all that nonsense going around." My mother said referring to the gangs that were constantly "at war."

"I know mother." I said and walked out the door and to the skate park.

I saw the familiar blond smiling at me and smiled back.

"Hey Kace."

"Hey Meg."

"Mom actually let you come?" Megan teased.

"If she didn't I would've gone anyways." I shrugged.

"Ohh so your a rebel now?"

"I'm 17 I should be able to be trusted to go anywhere without getting hurt."

"Yes, but your mom worries too much about you." Megan said sitting down.

"True." I slightly laughed, sitting down too.

"So how's that project going?"

"Not doing it." I replied nonchalantly.

Megan laughed, "Your parents are gonna be pissed!"

"Theres no point in doing a report on the civil war when they already taught us all about it."

"I love you." Megan laughed hugging my side.

"I know." I smiled.

"Are you at least going to the dance Friday?" Megan asked.

"I might, you know that dances aren't my thing."

"Niether is skating but here you are."

"I'm not skating though."

"Just come." Megan pleaded.

"I'll put it under consideration."

"Thank you!" Megan cheered.

A scream and then a gun shot. Then came a more gun shots. Me and Megan jumped up, Megan began to run, but I was frozen. I didn't know what to do, I've always heard of people getting stuck in the middle of gang violence, but I never imagined it happening to me. There were people every where holding guns and firing at each other. A gun hit my foot and I looked down at it. I quickly picked it up just in case something were to happen. A man my age aimed his gun at me and I fired without hesitation. He dropped to the ground, blood oozing from the wound in his chest. My heart was racing, but there was something so exhilarating about this.

"Get the girl!" A man shouted and I fired again and again. For the will of my own defense and for the amazing feeling it gave me.

Cop sirens were booming over the noise and flashes of blue and red were blinding me. A gun shot came from behind me and I twirled around. A man lay at my feet and I connected eyes with another man. He had brown hair and hazel eyes, he had saved my life.

"Don't tell them anything!" He shouted before bolting along with the others.

I quickly placed the gun on the ground and ran towards the police officer.

"Ma'am are you okay?" The police officer asked worriedly.

I nodded, unable to speak. The adrenaline rush was still in place and I couldn't even begin to comprehend what had just happened.

"Do you mind coming down to the police station and answering a few questions?"

I shook my head.

"This way ma'am." He said directing me to the front seat.

He climbed in after me and began driving, the drive was silent except for his radio going off shouting codes. I looked out the window the whole time, in my head I kept picturing the man saving her life and shouting, "Don't tell them anything !" We pulled up the police station and I was taken in and asked a bunch of questions.

"What exactly happened?" The police officer asked.

"I don't know me and my friend Megan were just talking then all of a sudden we heard gun shots. My friend ran, but I was too scared to move." I confessed.

"Did you hear any names exchanged during the gun fight?"

"No." I shook her head.

"Did you fire at any time?"

I was hesitant, "Yes, but for self defense. A man aimed at me and I took him down."

"Did you get a glimpse of any of the people?"

"Don't tell them anything." The words rang in my head. I didn't want to find out what would happen if I did snitch and after all he did save my life.

"No." I lied.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." I replied with all the confidence I had.

"Your free to go." He said and I was escorted out of the room.

I saw my family and once they saw me they immediately rushed over anr hugged me tightly.

"My poor baby, are you okay?!" My mother panicked.

I pushed them away, "I'm fine mom." Was I really?

"Your daughter is okay ma'am. No harm was done to her, she was very brave. That's a strong daughter you got there." He smiled.

Her dad rubbed her back, "That we do."

I walked up to my room and fell back on my bed. Memories flashed through my mind, but I dont think I was scared. In fact I was totally fine which was weird, normal people would be terrified and would've confessed everything. I didn't, I was calm and didn't confess enough. Maybe I should be worried. My phone vibrated and I picked it up.

"Hello."

"Oh thank goodness your okay." Megan sighed over the phone.

"Yeah, thanks for leaving me."

"Kacey I'm so sorry, I panicked."

I sighed, "I know, I'm sorry for being a lil snappy. I shouldn't have frozen up like that, are you okay?"

"Me?! Are you okay? Were you hit? Did anyone try to-" I cut her off.

"I'm fine Megan, I promise."

She sighed, "You seem really calm."

I know and it was terrifying, I should be freaking out and crying. I should be saying how it was awful and I was scared that I would die. But I wasn't.  Instead I was calm and didn't feel a thing. Wow. "I'm just tired, I'll call you tomorrow."

"Okay, if you can't sleep text me."

"Same goes for you, goodnight." I hung up the phone.

The most horrifying part of this all was I could actually fall asleep knowing I killed people today.