Chapter Eighteen

Chris was buying his usual medium coffee with cream as his blue eyes glanced at all the employees behind the counter.
Troye,the boy who usually worked at the coffee shop was behind the register.
His eyes twinkled as he looked back at Chris.
"Can I ask you a question?"Chris said to the manager slash barista.
"You can ask me anything,"Troye said back with a smile.
Chris ignored the boy's attempt at flirting with him."Where's Maddie?I haven't seen her in a couple of days?"
Troye had gum in his mouth,he chewed it and spoke at the same time."Maddie?"
"Yes,is she okay?"
"She asked for a couple of days off,family emergency or something.I'm a cool guy so I said it was fine."Troye shrugged his shoulders.
"She asked for time off?"Chris repeated.
Troye shrugged his slender shoulders again."Didn't want to be a b*tch and make her work if she's really got an emergency you know?Think she was lyin'?"
Chris dropped a tip into the glass jar that was on the counter as he said,"Maybe not.Thank you.Enjoy the rest of your day."
"See you tomorrow Detective!"
Chris ignored the boy and walked out of the coffee shop.
The girl asked for days off too?Chris repeated in his mind as he walked to his car.
This was a coincidence he couldn't pass up.