Chapter 4: the days after

Lala was a little strange. Yuna didn't want to judge - she hoped she hadn't been the judgemental type before, something about that just didn't sit well with her - but Lala kept some habits that made her wonder if Lala had any friends.

For one, Lala didn't really leave the house. She didn't let Yuna leave either, citing that Yuna needed to rest more before she felt comfortable with letting her move around the city. The only times she did leave was for grocery shopping, but she only did that when Yuna was asleep. To keep an eye on her, she said.

For another, Lala didn't have photos up around the house. Yuna had been here for nine days already - she'd been counting since the day she first woke up in her place - and she had yet to see anything that gave her any clues as to who lived there. The one time Yuna had asked about her family, Lala had curtly replied that she didn't have any. Yuna didn't ask again.

The apartment was small, really. Just the one bedroom with the ensuite bathroom, and the living room and kitchen. Yuna had tried to fight to switch places with her saviour to let her sleep outside. She had felt bad for taking Lala's bed. Lala had shaken her head vehemently and refused to even consider it.

On the fifth night, there had been a thunderstorm. Lala had crept into her room then, waking Yuna up.

"Can I sleep with you?" Thunder roared outside, shaking the glass in their panes. Yuna lifted the blankets easily, letting Lala ease in. The smaller girl had held tight to a stuffed white tiger, worn and missing an ear. Lala had shifted as close to her as possible, wrapping an arm around her waist. Yuna's heart starting racing in her chest, but she didn't say anything. That night, Yuna stayed up listening to the rain pour outside and Lala's deep breaths.

They didn't talk about it in the morning. Lala had slipped out at 4am, when Yuna had pretended to be asleep.

Yuna was going stir crazy. Lala had a tv, but told her not to bother with it, because Lala couldn't afford to pay for it to show anything. So they tried to pass time together - Lala would try and coax Yuna into playing board and card games with her. She had an impressive amount. Yuna was much better at the card games. She had a hell of a poker face.

They were in the middle of a game of poker when Yuna finally found the courage to ask. "Lala, why haven't we gone to the police?"

Lala barely glanced up from her consideration of her cards. "Why would we need to?"

"I don't know... maybe they can help me figure out who I am." Yuna's fingers twitched. "You said you didn't find any ID on me."

"I don't trust them."

"Why not?"

Lala raised her bet - they were playing with potato chips. "They don't ever do their job right. Trust me."

Yuna searched the short-haired girl's face. She couldn't read it. "Maybe it's worth a try anyway."

Lala finally looked up, her gaze heavy. "Don't you trust me?"

"What?"

"I'm looking for you, you know. I've been following the news - there hasn't been anything about you. Or any missing persons. No one's looking for you." Yuna sucked in a breath. Lala had said it so matter-of-factly. She wasn't trying to be unkind.

She turned back to her cards, an ache more painful than anything she'd felt right after waking up somewhere in her chest.

Yuna didn't bring it up again.

---

She wondered if she had a family. She must have - everyone does. But maybe she'd lost them? Maybe she wasn't close to them?

Maybe, she thought, lying under the covers of the bed at night, feeling safe in the dark. Maybe they just didn't know. Maybe she was a runaway, had been forced out for some reason or another. Or maybe they were dead. That was the kinder option. Maybe they just couldn't look for her.

She imagined it - a father, a mother. Maybe a sibling or two. Somehow, the idea of having sisters stuck with her. Two of them. Yuna liked the idea of having someone to play with, or talk to. Like having in-house best friends.

Which led her to wonder about her friends. Did she have any? It would be sad if she didn't. Watching Lala, Yuna decided that she did have friends in the past. Lala didn't talk much about having any - just one or two asides that always seemed lined with disgruntledness. It was obviously a sore topic with her.

Yuna hoped she had friends. Maybe they would look for her.

But even as she thought that, she realised she was just hoping she'd meant something to someone.

---

The first time Yuna was left alone was on day ten. Lala had rushed out after breakfast, looking frustrated and angry. She'd gotten a call, on her handphone. She'd been getting a lot of them, lately. Yuna had never seen her pick up.

She'd concentrated on her breakfast, trying not to seem interested in Lala's conversation as the girl drifted to the bedroom to talk. From her spot by the kitchen, Yuna couldn't hear anything. Yuna counted up to 142 before Lala came out again, upset.

"I have to leave for a bit. Stay here, okay?"

Yuna nodded, continuing to eat her cereal as Lala tossed a few things into her backpack and left. Before going, she turned to stare at Yuna.

"You're not going to leave, are you?"

Yuna blinked. "Where would I go?"

An hour later, Yuna was still trying to understand the pleased look on Lala's face.