Chapter 5: the crack (part 2)

Yongsun had grown used to having eyes on her. It was part of the joy of performing. Knowing that people were watching, were enjoying the stage, eager to find out what she could do next.

But she had never gotten used to the cameras. The other members would tease her about it a lot, how hyper-aware she was, how she'd adjust her behaviour accordingly - be louder, smile brighter. Wheein would joke about how Yongsun could find the one camera in the room, using nothing but her intuition.

There were a lot of cameras on her now. Yongsun had never hated them more than in this moment.

"So just read out the script." The police officer was nice, but Yongsun couldn't help but think of Byulyi whenever she saw her uniform and medals glinting under the light. Byulyi had wanted to be a police officer, growing up. That, or a bodyguard. She'd always wanted to protect people, she said. To do good, and to make people happy.

Yongsun still couldn't meet the police officer's eyes, even though it was their third meeting.

As she was ushered out from backstage onto the small stage, Yongsun took a deep breath, pulling on her leader mask. A leader must always look unruffled. A leader must always look like she has a plan. A leader cannot show weakness.

The reporters started snapping photos like crazy the moment she passed the curtains. Yongsun wasn't alone in this press conference, thankfully. Wheein and Hyejin were right behind her.

(They had fought - raised their voices and put their foot down. The officer had relented.)

They made it to the podium, the police chief stepping aside. Yongsun took her place, with Wheein and Hyejin on either side. She placed the script neatly in front of her and began. It was a simple speech, for all purposes. Yongsun understood that they were there for sympathy. The reporters would have already heard the exact details of the incident from the police chief. Mamamoo was the human element.

She made it through the first few lines okay. She even thought she would make it all the way without any trouble. But then:

"Byul-ah, we hope you're okay." The words pressed itself against her ears, just like her heartbeat. She felt a hand - Hyejin's? - on her shoulder. "We're not giving up hope. It's been six days, but we know you're out there." A rumble through the reporters. Yongsun tried to keep her gaze somewhere above them. "If anyone... anyone has seen her, please. Bring her back home."

Yongsun stepped off the podium, feeling exhausted. The reporters were buzzing, murmuring to each other. One voice rang clear above the others.

"Who are they kidding? It's been a week." Yongsun stopped then, ice filling her body. "Tell HQ we're not going to run this."

"There's been no body." Wheein had somehow grabbed the mic. "There's been no body, so you can't be sure." Her voice was feverish, furious. "You can't just give up on her."

"She's probably already dead." Another reporter. Yongsun couldn't find him in the crowd. "The first boy didn't survive. What makes her so special?"

The police chief was trying to take the mic from her, but Wheein wouldn't have it. "You don't know Moon Byulyi like we do." Eyes blazing, voice hard, Yongsun and Hyejin were the only ones that noticed how tightly Wheein gripped onto the mic. The way her lower lip trembled, just the slightest bit. Yongsun forced herself not to look away. "Don't give up hope on her yet." Hyejin grabbed her best friend's wrist and pulled her along, Yongsun grabbing onto the other. None of them stopped for the crowd backstage - they kept going, going, going till they were at their van, parked in the parking lot. All three of them were breathing heavily.

"Fuck them," Hyejin panted. "Fuck all of them." Wheein shook her head, staring at the ground. Yongsun wrapped her arms around herself.

"What if they're right?" Yongsun's voice was soft. The other two looked at her, confusion in their faces. Too soft. The words burned as she tried again. "What if Byulyi really is..."