Chapter 14 - Nexus

It was now or never.

Inside the dam, I loaded up with guns in each leg holster, strapped a bulletproof vest on, and carried a handgun. Before I stepped out, Nat grabbed me by the arm.

"Hey," she said.

"Hey, Nat—everything okay?"

"Yeah, yes, I just wanted to check—you ready for this?"

"Of course, it's what I'm trained for, remember?"

"Yeah, I know—you're my secondary. Had to ask."

"I appreciate it, Nat. Are you ready?"

Nat was going to infiltrate as one of the leaders of the World Security Council—to target Pierce directly from the inside.

"Always. Can't wait to reveal myself—I'm hoping it steps on a particularly big moment for him, cut the fragile male ego, you know?" Nat smirked.

I snickered back. "Any chance you get."

"Affirmative," Nat holds my gaze a moment longer before wrapping me in a quick, tight hug. Pulling back with her hands on my shoulders, she whispers, "I'll see you on the other side, okay?"

"Of course, Nat. I'll see you soon."

"Take care of yourself сестричка."

I smiled and tilted my head. "What does that mean?"

"Just a term of endearment." She smiled back.

I nodded and left Nat to group up with Maria, Sam, and Steve. Our job was going to be focused on the actual implementation of the chips in the helicarriers. Trailing behind the trio, I traipsed through the wooded area surrounding the Triskelion. Only a few days had passed, but already the once bright and righteous edifice seemed dark and sinister. Though I lacked the heroic uniform of a Captain America, and the technologically impressive flight suit of a Falcon, I outfitted myself fully with weapons, tactical gear, and vengeance.

Maria led the way through a secret passage under the east side of the building. The four of us climbed the stairs until we reached a command center door.

"Ready?" Maria asked.

"Affirmative," I answered. At this, I tapped a button on a small device adhered to my waistband. It scrambled the signals on the PA headset of everyone inside the command center, putting out a high pitched, screeching sound. A sound so terrible, they would have to check their systems' main hub.

Enter us.

One S.H.I.E.L.D employee opened the door, revealing myself, Sam, and Maria with guns drawn. Steve sauntered up toward the man, who backed away slowly in response.

"Excuse us." Steve smiled. The man extended his arms upward in defeat, and quickly stepped aside for us to pass through.

"Jennifer?"

...

My eyes met a petrified Shemar.

"Shemar!"

I ran to embrace him, but he took a half step backwards.

"Shemar?"

"Jen, what is going on? What is this?"

"It's a long story, but you have to understand that what I—what we're doing here is right. Please, please trust me."

Shemar scanned the room, noting the lack of his command center colleagues and the so-called fugitives before him. He took in a great breath, then exhaled sharply. "What do you need?"