𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟎𝟏

there you were, so casually walking amongst your people

there you were, so casually walking amongst your people. among the fountains, among the children. stopping by little stalls selling apples or quilted fabric. fontaine was quite a peculiar place, was signora's opinion.

warm air blew on her cheeks, feeling oh so different than snezhnaya's customary weather. her face felt bare, without her black mask fastened around her ears and head. instead a black cloak wrapped around her body, stopping at her mid calves because of her tall stature. amid all the bright fontanian customary colours, she stood out.

signora neared you, occasionally quickining her pace or slowing down. wandering through the stalls, or walking ahead. through the crowd that didn't seem to mind your presence that deeply. she understand the brooch on her cloak, slipping it off.
curious to see who would catch more attention. rosalyn or her fairer counterpart, la signora. almost not even taking notice of the sounds of fallen pieces. perhaps someone dropped their coins.

'what would happen if the tsaritsa were to do this?' she wondered. coming to the conclusion the tsaritsa would have made everyone bow. bow so low their muscles would strain, that their bones would freeze in place. not unlike the incompetent archon of this very region that she was walking upon. the tsaritsa knows how to instill fear and respect. while you, you, indiscretely walked though the city squares.

like the common folk say, would you rather be feared or loved by all?
she clearly noticed you opted for the latter.
hearing you to be the archon of justice, she imagined you to be a judge. perhaps in a courtroom all day long. signora couldn't tell if she was dissapointed or delighted.

after all, this would make her job a lot less complicated.

lost in her train of thoughts, she barely noticed a voice, reaching out to her.
"hello?" is said again, clearer this time.
"what?" she snapped back, not intending to come of as harshly as she did.

it was you. standing before her, so simply.
"you dropped this," you said, holding a little brooch that fell off her cloak.

instinctively she took it from your hands, brushing her thumb over the carved ruby set in the middle.
"i― i did. thank you for returning it to me."

"are you perhaps a traveller?" you asked, startling her.
"am i a traveller―?"

you smiled, resting your hands on your waist. signora had never seen her archon smile. and you showed one so carelessly.
"yes, i don't think you're from here, unless i'm mistaken of course."
"oh i― i am, i'm from.. monstadt."

she saw you nod slowly, and for the first time, she felt her hands get clammy. as if her feet got stuck into the mud on a rainy day, she sunk into the ground. you knew she was uttering lies, didn't you?
"oh monstadt, i've heard lovely things about that region. i hope you will enjoy your time here, please do come find me or my subordinates if you find yourself having any trouble."

'so polite' she couldn't help but think. probably a usual response to any and all wanderers.
"of course, you have my gratitude."
"oh, please don't think much of it" you spoke, your voice airy and light. something signora imaged a deity would sound like. perfectly fitting for someone like yourself.
she watched unmoving as you returned to the people you were formerly with. as if you were disappearing into thin air, you dissapeared into the crowd.

signora felt herself melt like a candle alight by the tone of your voice. clutching the brooch in her hand so tightly it left red marks on her skin, letting out a breath she didn't know she was holding.
secretly hoping she'd drop it again for you to find and return it to her.

oh, how horrible she was.

signora has ☁️archon issues☁️ig

ig

woah first chapter ! thank you for reading and hope you enjoyed !

status: not edited
30.09.21