•part twenty-four•

••••••

••••••

London, 1916:

I T was another day like the others. Nothing old and nothing new. Eleanor was still on the streets, covering herself from people's prying eyes that condemned her without knowing her life's story. She was cold, tired, but most importantly, hungry, having not eaten in five days. She counted, she counted every day since her last bite, and those days turned too long after two or three. But it was life she didn't think she'd ever have.

Pius was at war, fighting for his country, though she had no clue whether he was even alive. All the letters he'd send would go to some other family that owned their home that the Jackson siblings had since they were born. A home she managed to lose, because the job that she had was lost and so were her money. Not being able to make the ends meet, Eleanor decided to rent her apartment, until some people tricked her and that's how she ended up on the street, having only her luggage with her.

A damned life she was living, wanting to stay alive in case the war would end soon and Pius came back, saving her and avenging the people that dared to mess with her. Eleanor knew she had been too naïve, and now changed her ways, staying wary of everyone, even a stray cat, who tried to steal whatever food she could get her hands on.

The autumn day was a cold one, but a cover she still had with her kept some warmth that her body craved so much. And to think she could've been in her living room now, cosy in front of a fireplace and warm. Not cold as she felt that moment.

Eleanor tried not to think about what her life could've turned out like, and decided to try to survive until a day would come when the war was over. And she could run to the train station, greeting her brother, who was homeless just like her, but at least he'd be there for her. Whenever Elle thought about her brother, she got emotional, praying that he was alive and well. But war would end someday, and Elle waited for it like she waited for a sunny day. Even if it was the coldest months of autumn, and the war was still in full rage, its ending not even seen yet.

The street she was residing in was a rich folk street, but none of them paid her any coins, clearly too above to look down on a life's forgotten woman. Young, Eleanor was so young, and on the street. She needed money, but a beautiful woman with a heart of gold had no idea how to get any. Sure, she had seen whores on the streets, some men even took Elle as one, but she didn't want to stoop so low, lower than where she was at now. Eleanor didn't want to sleep with men, but if another day passed, she'd have to go to a nearest harlot house and show what her mother had given her.

Eleanor often asked people for money – after all, it's been 3 months on the street, and her pride had gone out through the window. She ate trash, showered in the river, and had no clean clothes. Pride was a thing she had lost the second her brother set foot into that train, leaving her alone. They had extended family members, but their parents never got along with any of them simply because her father was richer than her mother, and his family were against them marrying. One argument after another left the Jackson family only for themselves, so when Pius and Elle's parents died one after another, it was only her and him. Elle didn't need her relatives, though, she barely knew them so they didn't feel like family. Still, that day Eleanor didn't ask money from anyone since she felt quite sick, feeling her gurgling stomach in her ears.