Smoking

(Another storyline I don't have a picture for. My mind must be full of original ideas . Here's another unrelated photo of Connor.)

"This is crazy, Connor." Hank sighed angrily, as he stood outside of the house where a murder had taken place.

A family of three was killed by an unknown assailant, but everyone's guess was that it was the domestic android that had gone missing. The only thing veering them away from that possibility was the presence of Thirium. It was a large amount, most likely signifying that the android was no longer functioning.
The thing that was really getting to Hank was the child that was found in the house. He was maybe eight, and he had blonde hair that was matted with thick and partially dried blood.
Seeing dead children always got to Hank. No matter how old they were.

"It is an unfortunate happening, Lieutenant." Connor replied, standing next to Hank as he stared into the dark winter night that was Detroit.

The human of the two groaned, as he pulled out a half empty pack of cigarettes. The box was white with an orange stripe on it, mimicking the pattern of the things inside.
Hank pulled out a lighter after he picked out his desired cigarette and returned the rest of the pack to his pocket. He lit it as it was in his mouth, and put away his lighter.

"Lieutenant? Should we return to the crime scene, or do you want to wait here for a little while longer?" Connor asked, trying to ignore the warnings of a foreign substance clogging up his filtration system as it flashed in his vision.

"They don't allow you to smoke in a crime scene, Connor. What good comes from standing in there?" Hank asked rhetorically, rolling his eyes as he puffed another breath of smoke into the winter air. It blowing in the direction of the android next to him.

"Lieutenant, it's important that we—solve this crime—to bring closure to the—the remaining family." Connor had to pause to recollect his thoughts while they seemed to leave him. The warnings of his failing filtration system began to shut down from the irregular intake of oxygen.

"What's wrong with you?" Hank asked, noticing the stutter in Connors voice.

"The exhaust of your cigarette is harming my biocomponents." Connor placed his right hand over his chest area to hopefully take some of the tightness away. Air was becoming harder and harder to filter.

"Really? Sorry." Hank dropped his cigarette at his feet and crushed it under his heel. "Are you ok now?"

"My filtration system may need to be replaced, but I will be fine." Connor replied, straightening out his limbs as the Thirium in his body began to re-oxidize.

Hank sighed, feeling a bit guilty about the ordeal.
"Why didn't you say anything? I smoke around you all the time."

"It is not my place to tell you what you can and cannot do. My biocomponents can be replaced." Connor replied, having finally cleared a portion of the smog from his system. His filtration system definitely had to be replaced. He didn't need to preform a self diagnostic to know that.

"If it's hurting you, Connor, than yeah, tell me what to do." Hank scoffed. "You're fine though, right?"

"Yes, Lieutenant." Connor persisted.

"Ok."

Hank walked back into the house where their crime scene laid. That smoke helped him calm down, though he'd never be doing it again. If it was hurting Connor, then he was going to stop. Hank would do anything for that hunk of plastic. He honestly would risk his life for him. Just as Connor would.

Started- Oct.1/21
Finished- Oct.1/21
Word Count- 626