Masquerade

(I don't have a picture for this one, so enjoy this adorable photo I found of Connor.)

Two men were getting ready for the day. One struggling to tie a tie, and ultimately deciding to leave it out of his outfit all together, and the other sitting stiffly on the footrest of their couch with two fingers to his temple.
The stumbling of the two walked into the main room, also accompanied by the other. He adjusted his jacket on his shoulders as he trailed into the kitchen to make himself something, leaving his acquaintance in the connecting room. He hadn't taken much notice to his counterpart, but he did bother to greet him once he managed a mug under the drip of the coffee machine.

"What'er you up to, Connor? You trying to light that fireplace with your mind or something?" He asked casually, leaning into the edge of the kitchen's granite countertops, suppressing a chuckle.

"No, I was just thinking." Connor replied simply, lost in his own thoughts with his index and middle finger still against his temple area.

"About what?" The other man asked, wanting to continue the idle morning small talk, but having no real intention to listen.

"My status ring is a bit out of place, isn't it?" Connor looked over to the other man with a slight pouting face.

"Not really." He replied simply, picking up his coffee mug from the platform on the machine, and taking a long sip.

"But I don't look very human with it, Hank."

"Because you're not human."

"Oh..."
Connor turned away from the other, saddened by the blunt answer. He was expecting some reassurance, not blatant rudeness.

Hank sighed, a little annoyed Connor took his words the wrong way. He walked out of the kitchen, and stood next to him while he was still seated.

"I didn't mean it like that."

Connor looked up from his lap, curious to what the words did mean then, if not what they denotated.

"What I was trying to say was: You shouldn't worry about looking human if you aren't. I don't try to look like a pro athlete."

"Because you aren't one..."

"Exactly." Hank smirked, proud his words were now comprehended correctly.

"Who knew such small collections of words could connotate much larger meanings." Connor pulled his fingers away from the LED ring at his temple, now contempt with its presence.

"I don't know what that means, but let's go." Hank clapped his hand to Connors left shoulder, reaching across his whole back to get there.
When Connor did stand up from the couch accessory, Hanks arm was over both of his shoulders and his coffee mug was empty.

"Should we stop for breakfast or go straight to work?" Connor asked, already knowing what the answer was.

"Do you really have to ask that?" Hank raised an eyebrow, setting his mug onto the coffee table, as was its purpose.

"I guess not." Connor shook his head with the aftermath of a chuckle on his face.

Started- Oct. 13/21
Finished- Oct. 13/21
Word Count- 515