Chapter Twenty

The first few days of the internship were uneventful and boring. Best Jeanist spent most of the time trying to instruct Bakugo on how to conduct himself professionally. While uneventful, Kiyo found it was entertaining watching the hot head try to keep his temper in check. As they were out on a routine patrol Kiyo cringed as people constantly called out to Best Jeanist. Girls squealed, kids yelled in excitement and she began to wonder if her father had the right idea to just be as unapproachable as possible to cut down on annoyances like this.

"It's possible some villains were inspired by what happened in Hosu. That means they could be feeling bolder." Best Jeanist spoke as he led the patrol with Kiyo and Bakugo trailing along behind him both zoning out, growing tired of his constant lectures. "This may just be a patrol, but keep your guard up, you two."

Kiyo resisted the urge to sigh. Her guard was always up; she didn't need reminding. She felt frustrated. Her father had been involved in the Hosu incident which meant if she'd interned with him she'd actually have gotten to do something interesting. She could feel Bakugo quietly seething beside her and had a feeling he was also regretting his decision. This entire internship felt more like etiquette training than hero training. She glanced in the angry blonde's direction and felt her lips quirk slightly at his ridiculous appearance with his hair smoothed down.

"Here's a question for you two." Best Jeanist prompted, "patrols are mainly meant to deter villains from committing any crimes, but they also have a secondary purpose. What is it?"

Before Kiyo could respond Bakugo spoke up with a malicious tone, "if we see some bad guys we can beat them up on the spot." He looked far too pleased about that prospect.

"Are you a child?" Kiyo rolled her eyes.

Best Jeanist sighed, "incorrect," and looked to Kiyo for her response.

Kiyo shook her head at Bakugo as he shot her a scowl before responding in a matter of fact tone, "to increase presence within the community and put civilians at ease."

"Nicely put." Best Jeanist nodded to her.

Bakugo glowered at her angrily as she threw him a quick smug look.

"It's Best Jeanist!" A group of middle school girls squealed and waved over at them, "thank you for keeping us safe!"

Best Jeanist calmly waved back and indulged them with a pose so they could snap a picture. Kiyo rolled her eyes, this was the biggest waste of time.

Kiyo turned as a few children approached them one of them pointed to Bakugo, "hey I've seen that blonde guy on TV before!"

Kiyo looked at Bakugo waiting for him to explode. It was going to be any moment now.

"An ooze villain caught him and he almost cried like a baby!" The kid informed his friends, causing Kiyo to choke on a laugh.

Bakugo's hair puffed up and he turned on the kids with a snarl of rage, "what did you say?!" He clenched his fists aggressively causing all three of the children to burst into tears.

Kiyo tensed preparing to incapacitate Bakugo if he tried to hurt the children.

"Have you really forgotten everything I've taught you?" Best Jeanist groaned. "Talk with them, like a pro."

"Yeah, fine." Bakugo grumbled bitterly before stepping closer to address the crying children. "Listen up, I wasn't helpless. I was just coming up with ways to fight him. Sometimes a hero has to pretend he's been caught. You really think I would lose? You'll eat those words when I'm the new number one hero! You dumb kids will never laugh at me again if you know what's good for you!" He snapped.