Chapter Three - My Partner

(I'm sorry I have been dormant on this story for longer than necessary. Honestly, I have been catching up on tons of sleep because apparently my body has had enough of my 5 hour nights. That being said, I will try to get back in with this story because I truly love it but it takes the right frame of mind. And since I won't be asleep for another hour, here this is :)

           In the few minutes I had been wandering, I started to figure out the mapping system they had in this place. It's all labeled with numbers and letters, making the uniform paths have some sort of distinguishing detail.

           Another thing that I'd noticed on my way to 318-C is that every single person, no matter what nationality, could understand each other. I don't know how or why, but I witnessed tons of different races interacting effortlessly, and that is the only explanation I could come up with. I'll have to ask Kirstie about that later.

           I'd finally made my way to the street of the 300s in the C sector. I tried to peek in the foggy houses to get an impression of my neighbors, but none were visible past the cloudy material. I sighed and continued to walk on until I found it. Right there on the exterior was a gold plate reading 318-C. Welp, this is it.

           I knocked and the door, made from the condensed water vapor and its odd barrier, opened a crack and a high, melodic voice poked through the slit. "Who's there?"

"I'm Scott Hoying. I was assigned to you by Esther," I replied, nervous about the man's reaction. Just then, the door creaked open and standing there was the most beautiful creature I had ever seen. His dark hair was perfectly styled into a quiff, sweeping it away from his stunningly chiseled face. His eyes were the same as Kirstie's and my own, illuminated a heavenly white shade that matched his perfectly aligned teeth that hid behind a pretty set of pouty lips. His short, but mesmerizing body was the pure definition of beauty.

          "Okay, Scott Hoying, I don't receive partners, therefore this must have been a mistake. I would recommend you head back and ask Esther to fix it."

I ran a hand through my hair and tried not to act as uncomfortable as I was. "Well yeah, but on my file, it clearly read your name. And Esther was shocked as well, but I guess I'm your new partner." I smiled at him and received a cold, hard glare in return.

           "That's completely bizarre but, you sound genuine so I'll believe you. Now get inside." He opened the door wider, allowing me to slip past him and into his abode. "The name is Mitch Grassi. Don't touch anything until I get back. I'm going to go make the guest room presentable."

             I nodded as his tiny form scurried off into the hallway and to the left. Seeing the room as completely empty, save for a sofa-like protrusion sticking out from the clouded wall, I tip-toed down the hall after him. When I peeked into the open doorway, my jaw hung open. He was BENDING the freaking clouds! Did I watch The Last Airbender before I died? Is that why I'm seeing this?!

            I watched as his lithe fingers formed a bed from the wall material and a small table in the corner. In awe, I stood there, witnessing something I had only seen on cartoons. "You like what you see, Hoying?"

"Huh?" I mumbled stupidly, as I blushed, knowing I was caught staring at him.

              "Didn't Earth teach you a thing or two about staring?" Mitch asked, smirking as he walked up to me.

"Oh...um...yeah, sorry. I was just curious."

               "Well, learn not to be. My business is mine and you will learn to not be curious about it. You're not Alice and this is not Wonderland. Get over it." He walked right past me and out of the hallway, sitting on the sofa with his head in his hands.

                Ouch. That hurt. I tried to be positive about the entire situation be he was absolutely unfathomable. That attitude was completely uncalled for considering that I have done nothing to him. I can't stay here with this mean, mean person. I need to get out.

(So I apologize if this is crappy, it's 12:30 on a school night and I honestly just wanted to get an update in. Also, I'm gonna try to work on the sequel for Where We Started sometime this week. Thank you guys :)

Love you guys and stay sassy :*

      ~ Courtney