2. Hide 'N Go Seek

It had been a long-time since Rebel accepted the fact that she'd never see her biological parents again.

And even though she didn't have her "real" mother and father, Henrik and Selene were perfect enough on their own.

Her aunt and uncle loved her, despite the war that took away Yvaine and Ludis and changed the course of their lives.

Yes, she wished she got to meet her parents. Speak with them, interact with them. Be with them.

However, Selene told her that they both died as heroes. They died fighting for the kingdom they represented (which was more or less the truth). Died fighting for the citizens of their empire.

In fact, because of her parents' bravery, her aunt and uncle escaped with her. Their courage allowed the three of them to forge a new life on a new continent—Sangrea. Their new home.

The thought gave the little girl some peace.

Rebel just hoped they knew how proud she was of them and, in turn, that they were proud of her wherever they may be.

She, Selene, and Henrik had each other and their cottage in the middle of the Elmhurst woods—and that's all they ever needed. Just the three of them.

"One, two, three. Come out, come out, wherever you are, little wolf." Henrik's low voice announced.

Rebel giggled softly from her place under his and her aunt's bed, reasoning that he would never find her there. Or at least she had a few minutes until he did. And even by then, she'd hear his heavy footfalls.

The two were in the midst of a game of hide-and-go-seek. One to test Rebel's knowledge of the stealth tactics she's learned throughout the past seven months. From both Selene and Henrik to see if her skills were up to par. Without another word, she agreed to the challenge. Because on the line was the first pick of the batch of cookies her aunt was making.

It was her turn to hide. Rebel had found her uncle within ten minutes.

Those cookies would be hers.

She just had to wait and be observant like Selene had taught her these past months.

Patience is key in anything. Be calculated, be smart.

Rebel watched, her blue eyes glued to her aunt and uncle's white bedroom door for any indication that he was going to burst through the door and find her.

Creak. . creak, but the footsteps became dull. Henrik was heading towards her room on the opposite side of the house. It was the obvious choice for a hiding spot.

Why was he checking there?

Maybe to fake her out?

And unfortunately, her suspicions were correct as he opened the side door.

She held her breath. Her brain fired with possible escape plans. All she had to do was remain out of Henrik's grasp. As long as the former warrior didn't tag her, Rebel's clock would still be ticking. She knew she could do that.

"Henrik, Rebel—" Selene's voice called from the kitchen, "put your game of hide 'n seek on pause come get your cookies. They're almost ready."

Rebel frowned at her aunt's statement.

The little girl had no intent on giving up. It wasn't in Rebel's nature to lose, no. Even at her young age, she knew winning had value. Besides, beating Henrik would be immensely satisfying.

More than words could describe.

Maybe that was all a part of the fun.

Rebel listened as Henrik's footfalls thudded against the wooden floorboards. He was going towards the kitchen where the cookies and Selene were.