9. As the Autumn Leaves Fall

Silas didn't know what to expect when it came to Rebel, although he had a feeling that having her around wouldn't be anything good.

Sighing under his breath, he exited the king's castle beside her. The two of them followed after Salvatore and his ensemble of guards.

The sunlight was unusually bright as the group walked out. So bright he had to raise a hand to shield his eyes from the unexpected onslaught.

Sangrea's weather was so temperamental.

Before their meeting, the fog that surrounded the castle was dense enough to be considered clouds, but it must've cleared up quickly.

Sangrea's King stopped on top of the staircase. His men immediately halted around him. "Well, I wish you both luck," he said dismissively.

"Thank you, my king." Silas bowed his head in respect and started to go.

"Wait here, Silas."

Silas paused in his steps, turning his attention to the king.

Meanwhile, Rebel didn't even say anything in response. To be honest, she probably didn't even hear the words the pair started to exchange because she was already walking down the large stone steps. Too occupied with her own concerns to bother to care what the men were saying to one another.

Would this be what she would act like as his partner on their mission?

"She seems like quite the spitfire," Salvatore commented with amusement, his icy gaze tailing after Rebel.

Soon after, she entered the limo waiting for them at the foot of the steps. The door closest to the stairs shut to a close with a loud thud.

"Yes, she does." Silas agreed gruffly. He wondered if King Salvatore pairing them was the right choice.

He knew that taking Rebel under his care would be a challenge.

He must've read her profile at least a dozen times before their meeting when Salvatore first contacted him about her case a week ago. Rebel had a number of attitude issues ranging from being reclusive to being distrustful of others. Based on the information in her file, she had never gone on an assignment with anyone else. She strictly worked alone.

But based on the anger he saw simmering in her blue eyes in King Salvatore's presence, especially at one particular comment, he wouldn't have been surprised to figure out that she had been ready to rip the new king's throat and set the castle ablaze.

As an Alpha, he had overseen and resolved his fair share of conflicts. Managing a community of fifteen thousand lycans, nymphs, and dryads that was constantly growing, it was part of the job. He was there to be a mediator and help resolve issues, even when things were at their worst, but how would be able to work with Rebel if she was willing to go against the King?

Silas didn't have any plan on stepping on Rebel's toes, as he wanted to respect her boundaries, but navigating life as an Alpha while tasked to complete tasks for Salvatore with her would certainly be. . tricky.

And considering that his contract mentioned that the king would be meeting with him monthly to touch base and check up on Rebel's progress was another thing, too.

All things considered, Silas most definitely had his work cut out for him.

King Salvatore pulled his eyes from the black vehicle, facing the Alpha. "Although, it's not all rooted in her personality."

Silas arched a brow, needing him to elaborate.

"She's been through some rough things." A lull of silence passed as the king buried his hands in his pockets. "More than any woman her age is expected to."