5. Locked Up

Part Two
Vicious Beauty

☽ ☽ ☽ ☽

MANY    YEARS    LATER

The sweet melody of the man's whistle got louder as his footsteps neared her prison cell. Ending his tune, he stopped in front of the bars. A proud smile slid on his face as he tipped his head back, looking at the young woman in the prison cell. "Hey, Red."

At his words, Rebel lifted her head.

The man's dark brown eyes slid over to the notebook she had in her lap. "Whatcha working on?"

"A poem." Rebel flipped her book shut, setting it aside on her nightstand with a loud thud. "I wasn't able to finish it, though." She blew out a breath and leaned back against the cold brick wall before whispering under her breath, "again."

The confession was intended for her ears only. Since her writer's block had gotten the best of her and left her defeated once more. Although to her annoyance, he heard her. Just as he always did.

Sweet T's coffee-colored eyes lit up immediately at her admission with a knowing glint. "You'll find inspiration and finish it soon enough. Just give it time."

She scoffed. "And wouldn't that day be a miracle?"

He pressed his lips together, a dimple creating a crater on his left cheek. "Well, I know something that will at least make your day a little bit better." He withdrew a key from his pocket before quickly sliding it into the small slot on the lock to her cell door. "You're having breakfast with me." The older man's eyes twinkled with a joy akin to those of a young boy who had just been presented with a new toy. "In the guard's lounge." Locks clicked as he turned the key before the cell door swung open with a creak for her to exit. "Consider it my treat."

What does he want? Rebel thought as her brows knitted together. Despite her confusion, she didn't hesitate to step over the threshold of her cell.

"Ah, that look on your face." He commented after shutting close her cell door with a clang. "You look like you either just smelled very stinky cheese or are considering the practicality of murdering me," he chuckled.

In the two years Sweet T had known Rebel, he had become acquainted with the former assassin's subtle expressions. Her icy blue eyes crinkled whether she was happy or sad. When a question was on her mind, Rebel brought her brows together. Like right now. The pout of her lips meant she was concentrating. She commonly wore the expression while immersed in deep thought as she read, wrote, or tackled a puzzle.

But even with her, the eyes never lied.

"I'll tell you about it once we get something to eat. Promise you'll want me alive once you find out what it concerns."

Rebel didn't say anything in response, opting for silence, but knew that she wouldn't count on it.

☽ ☽ ☽ ☽

"You really were hungry, weren't you?" Sweet T laughed, staring at the assassin in awe at how fast she wolfed down her breakfast. "Devoured your French toast in a matter of seconds. Might even be a new world record." A big grin lit up his face as his hand wrapped around the handle of his coffee mug.

Bringing the mug to his lips, he took a final sip of the warm liquid before cleaning his mouth off with the back of his hand. "Ahh, nothin' beats a good cup of Joe in the mornin'. Best way to begin your day on the right foot." He gave another hearty chuckle.

Sweet T's laugh was somewhat of a signature of his. It was gruff but filled with joy and threatened to call up memories to the surface of her uncle Henrik with how similar he was.