3. A Sky Full of Stars

"Rebel, I know you can go further than that!" Henrik called from a few yards in front. Attempting to motivate his niece to leave the rock she had sat on ten minutes ago.

And was still sitting on.

"My feet hurt a bit, Hen!" Rebel groaned, looking down at the ground, with her face buried in her hands.

She was trying to push herself to get going, but her limbs were sore from trekking through the woods for hours already. It didn't help that her brain felt fried under the heat of the woods and information it had been overridden with.

It was Saturday, a nature day. A chance to learn more about the Elmhurst woods and its many inhabitants with her uncle.

Rebel and Henrik had been exploring the woods for the past five hours. They'd journaled about the wildlife they had encountered. He had taught her how to track animals, pointed out spots where they could be found, distinguish calls from one another, and what they meant.

Rebel was more than grateful for the knowledge that Henrik was passing on to her. Not to mention, she did find the whole beginning of their adventure to be exciting.

However, that didn't prevent exhaustion from seeping into Rebel's bones over time.

"You okay, kid?" Henrik questioned, slowly making his way back to her.

"Yeah, I'm good." Rebel sighed with a soft smile as she took the hand he extended out to her. His warmth immediately flowed to her hand from the contact. It made her feel a bit more steady, seemingly anchored by her uncle's presence. "Can I have some water, please?" Bright blue eyes looked up at Henrik.

"Of course." He chuckled as he slid his backpack off, opening the zipper in the back to withdraw a water bottle for her. After opening the cap, he handed it to Rebel.

She took a few swings before thanking him and handing him back the water bottle to be put away.

After doing so, he glanced at the watch on his left wrist. It was 2:10 pm. "I think your aunt should be done with lunch by now."

Hand in hand, the two started making their way back to the family's cabin in the middle of the woods. "What's she making?" Rebel questioned, glancing upward at her uncle.

"Some BLT sandwiches and an apple walnut salad."

Momentarily Rebel's eyebrows furrowed as she considered their next meal. But it wasn't long before the young redhead found words to express her consensus.

"Ew, disgusting! I hate apples in my salad." Rebel's expression soured. "Plus, the dressing always makes the spinach and romaine lettuce so soggy!"

Henrik laughed at his young niece's complaints. The sound of his gruff baritone bounced off the tall pine trees around them. "Well, maybe, that's because you don't eat the salad in time, Bel." He chuckled, his ocean eyes sparkling with bemusement. "You're always let it sit in the liquid."

Rebel placed a hand on her mouth, disgusted by his words. Her head shook, red hair bouncing side to side quickly as she shook her head to clear her mind. She got a tummy ache just thinking about it.

"Gross. Don't say another word."

Henrik's brows rose before he lifted his hands up, revealing he meant no harm.

"Good," she settled after a couple of seconds, her eyes sweeping over the forest surroundings.

And almost as soon as the conversation had ended, a long, mossy log had quickly seized her attention. A perfect place to test her balance and opportunity for fun.