8. A Deal with the Devil

If anything, Captain Aethos was a no-bullshit, no-nonsense type of man who was wholeheartedly devoted to his career. Meaning he didn't engage in conversation with Rebel during their ride to King Salvatore's castle. Rebel tried, thinking he might open up, especially since they were both seated in the back, but he wouldn't budge. Not even when she asked if she could see his face. The Captain merely grunted at her request, too focused on whatever he was reading on his phone.

Aethos was a hard-ass.

This didn't do anything to ease Rebel's thoughts about her upcoming meeting with Sangrea's King, but she did her best not to think about it.

Wait, who was she kidding? The predicament she was in seemed to be all that the former assassin could think about.

"We're here," Aethos announced as the car rolled to a halt ending their two-hour journey.

In that instant, Rebel wanted nothing more than reply, "I can see that cle— Holy shit."

The words died on her tongue. The air was practically knocked from her lungs as soon as she laid her eyes on the red and black Gothic castle. The grand structure was seemingly cut from the mountains it was built on top of.

Fog rolled along the sky, touching the tips of the castle's magnificent towers. Several arched flying buttresses supported the stone towers, which only made the former assassin marvel at the ingenuity and craftsmanship of the architects tasked with the building.

A cool gust whipped at Rebel's cheeks as she exited the car.

Yet, the chilly winds didn't compare to the metal that bit at her wrists. Those damn cuffs reminded her that she was still a prisoner.

A staircase leads to two huge dark oak doors. Two giant guards were placed at each door. "Cerberus and Eclipses," Aethos said in greeting.

The two giant, buff armored men merely nodded their heads in response before unlocking the doors for the two to enter. 

They entered a hallway. Black chandeliers hung from the high vaulted ceiling with lanterns posted along one side. Outside the windows lining the other wall, the fog that surrounded the castle had seemingly thickened. Making Rebel wonder just how high in the cliffs they were.

But she had other things to think about as they continued their walk.

Was she to finally be beheaded? To be hanged?

Hell, would she be placed in the dungeons below the castle and never see sunlight again?

Sickness coiled in her gut. She cannot see the purpose of why the newly crowned king called her to his palace. For prisoners who were called to the king's castle, it usually only meant that it was their day of execution. At least, that was the case when King Cyrus reigned.

But then again, why meet with her minutes before her death? There couldn't be any other explanation.

Right?

At last, they stopped in front of a set of black-and-gold doors. Rebel could see ornate patterns in the wood by the light provided by the lanterns. Carvings of demons and angels. For a minute, she considered if it was a depiction of the war held between the angels and demons. The one in which Devil and the Archangel Michael led their respective sides. And ultimately, sent all demons spiraling to Hell.

Michael.

A knot twisted in her stomach. Would Michael be seated among the other members of the king's council?

Last she heard of her unofficial uncle, he was a part of the new king's Black Imperium. The legendary force that protected the entire kingdom was composed of nine angels, led by Michael.