10. A Fresh Start

Rebel woke up to the smell of breakfast. She practically jolted upward as she inhaled a deep waft of the aroma-filled air.

The smell of eggs, pancakes, syrup, a mixed berry concoction, sausage, and Gods—bacon filled her nose. Her stomach rumbled in response. Needless to say, it had been a damn long time since she had smelled a meal that delicious.

She practically tore off her blanket and jumped out of bed, sliding on the tan, fuzzy slippers left by her bedside. Rebel didn't know who had left them for her, but that didn't matter much. Right now, she was solely operating on the fact she was hungry and couldn't wait to find the source of the delicious smells and get the food into her belly as soon as possible.

She walked over to the en suite bathroom. Brightness filled the room as the lights clicked on. She looked over at herself in the vanity mirror, rubbing her eyes before getting a second look at her reflection.

Hallowed cheekbones, eye bags, pale skin, and visible collarbones. She raised a hand, puckered her lips, and gazed at her waist. She had never been this thin, either. Life in Sangrea's prison had done a number on her appearance. And her fighting in the Pits of Tartarus. Her consciousness reminded her that her mental health had been just as impacted.

Usually, she and her opponents traded nothing more than blows. Those were easy to get through, routinely if anything, and the outcome of her victory could be expected. Yet, she was sure she would never forget Emmett's vacant, eerie eyes as his life left him. Yet another she had taken.

Just like all the others. . .

She sighed. For most of her life, death had lingered around her like a dark, faceless stalker. It constantly loomed in the corner of any room she walked in, not making its presence known at first. It watched her for a while before events began to unfold, and it was clear she had to make a choice. Fight, or it would be her in the coffin next. And even when it came to those she loved, she was too young, too powerless to do anything to save them at the time.

She mumbled a silent apology to her parents, aunt, and uncle. And she pushed away the uncomfortable thoughts. Brewing in her misery would do her no good. She needed to refocus.

If not for herself, then for them.

A shower was a good place to start. It had been ages since Rebel had showered with proper bath products and washed her hair under hot water. Then, changing into clothes and having breakfast. Maybe, even a workout later in the day. That is if she found any time for it.

Who knew what the Alpha, Silas, would want her to do? His face sprang up in her mind. He was handsome. More handsome than most men she had spent her time with, even the casual hookups she had, but their worldviews didn't match up with one another.

For a moment, she remembered that he had attacked her.

She gave him no choice, to be fair. After all, she was the one who took off on him.

Although, was injecting her with a sedative necessary? Or tying her wrists? That was to be debated.

Whatever, she'd let it slide.

As long as he stayed out of her hair, she'd stay out of his. It was settled.

All she could hope for was to get through this first day of this new chapter of life without too many mishaps.

☽ ☽ ☽ ☽

When she walked out of her shower, a note was waiting near the bottom of the doors to her room. It was an invitation from Silas for breakfast.